The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent the last 5 minutes feeding live mosquito larvae to my tanks. Needless to say the fish went crazy.

I just realized if I catch the larvae soon enough after they hatch they are small enough for Endler fry to eat. So I picked out a bunch of egg rafts and put them in some vials I had lying around. Hopefully I can dump them in right after they hatch.

Has anyone ever fed mosquito eggs to fry? Or is it better to wait until they hatch?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I don't think the fish would be particularly interested in the rafts.
Mosquito larvae are basically nutritious, entertaining candy bars. And, because they breathe through tubes on their butts, you can put them in saltwater and they'll survive for quite awhile. In fact, I had a batch turn up in a (brackish water) fiddler crab setup once.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I put some rafts in straight RO last night and today I have a few hundred larvae ready to feed to the fry. I wonder how long they will survive in RO? I don't think they'll grow much if any but the small size is a big plus.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Where do bloodworms come from?
I left my one open topped flowbin outside, it got like an inch of rain and some leaves blown into it, there are quite a few mozzies in there, as well as lots of bloodworms.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Bloodworms are pretty cool fish food, partially because of their adult form- no biting with those guys. They're harder to get out of the culture thing, though, mostly because they don't have to come up for air.
If you happen to have some mosquito rafts on hand, it'll take them maybe a week to get to adults. Just keep an eye out for their comma-like pupae, they spend a day or so in that form and you can feed them like that before they become a problem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So taking the rafts out and putting them into RO is working out great. They hatched yesterday just fine. Plenty of tiny larvae that hopefully won't grow cause they are in RO. 3 day old endler fry have no problem eating these guys.

So I will keep some of the first batch and see how long they live and how big they get in ro. For the record I have 3 rafts in <4mls if RO. And hundreds of larvae have hatched. This make it very easy to get out lots of larvae in just a few drops of water

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
If you put them in a little container with mesh over it and some dead leaves inside, the larvae will feed on the leaves but won't be able to get out if they hatch into mosquitos. If you see mosquitos on the mesh, just give the container a shake, soak the mosquitos, and dump them into the tank for the fish.
And various types of virus aren't a concern for newly hatched mosquitos, they haven't had a chance to pick it up and spread it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have tonnes of different sized mosquito and chironomid larvae, but I'm not seeing eggs... care to take a pic?
Chironomid egg masses look like elongate clear jelly spheres with a spiral of little 'things' in them. Best description I can give. You have to learn to recognize them. Their larvae are hard to harvest because they cocoon themselves in a yucky mass of slime and diatoms.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good luck

I could never find enough to make the effort worth the time. maybe we have the wrong kind of water here.

I know in Central Oregon, the evaporative, high dissolved mineral lakes get spring and summertime hatches of Chironomids that coat the inside walls of buildings if you forget and leave windows open. They also will make a mess of your car's windows when driving through the clouds they form when they hatch and mate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.