The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the plant separates from the bulb, is the plant going to die?

What is an achievable bushiness? How short can I train this to be before it is harmed?

Do I just keep pruning until it "learns"?

Thanks for any help. I usually just let things grow wild, but thought I'd try something new and see if I like it.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

What is an achievable bushiness? How short can I train this to be before it is harmed?

Thanks for any help. I usually just let things grow wild, but thought I'd try something new and see if I like it.
If your substrate is rich enough the plant should survive. It my take a long time until it get large though. Most of their energy comes from the bulb. I have seen some tanks where the plant looked like a bush. Yes on the pruning until it learns.
+1 Keep on trimming, and the plant will learn where it can go, trim it to the height you want it. If the plant separates, let it. You will get more plants than just the one out of the bulb.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

- Mine separated (red tiger and dwarf lily), I was using root tabs also. Depending on your lights(definitely HO for red wide bushy submerged leaves), CO2, and liquid nutrients or growth will be stunted

- I use a GE spotlight 6500K, 26W,1600Lumens daylight bulb that is less than an 1/8 of an inch from aquarium glass SIDES, and it pearls madly:tongue:

- If you keep the high lumen spotlight on sides of tank, it will send runners but they'll be smaller than the submerged spotlighted wider one. I guess if it troubles you just pinch them, but I don't think it will bud a flower stalk.

Thanks for any help. I usually just let things grow wild, but thought I'd try something new and see if I like it

- I let them grow wild then trim .. Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.