The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might in winter try one. I have shallow 15 gallon tanks and one could make a nice display. I think these should catch on..no pressure on coral reefs,no Co2 or Calcium reactors needed or weird glow in the dark lighting. I'm not sure its as easy as he says,but its possible.

I'm thinking also that one goal would be to make it look "Marine natural" instead of a salty version of a freshwater biome. Maybe base rock covered in purple coralline,and of course,pure white sands is a natural. Lots of room for creativity.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
I've kept macros for a long time. It's always a little tricky getting ferts dialed in but they're not super-complicated. Not everything grows as well as we're used to on the freshwater side of the hobby, unfortunately.

Still have a ton of various macros in my grow-out tub with a bunch of rock, sand, hermies and snails. Maybe I should put together a small tank with macros and document it here instead of on a marine forum...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still have a ton of various macros in my grow-out tub with a bunch of rock, sand, hermies and snails. Maybe I should put together a small tank with macros and document it here instead of on a marine forum...

Heck yeah,would love to see that. I think there is some real eye popping potential in this. Imagine a large macro Algae tank? I mean them and just hardiest of corals,hardiest of Anemones..You just can't equal that in freshwater.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've kept macros for a long time. It's always a little tricky getting ferts dialed in but they're not super-complicated. Not everything grows as well as we're used to on the freshwater side of the hobby, unfortunately.

Please do! Would love to follow along

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought about a similar set-up some years ago, using different caulerpas and other macro algaes, but it was hard to locate a variety of these locally and I also heard that there can be frequent die-offs, so I didn’t look into it any further and just started another freshwater plant tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
there can be frequent die-offs
Yep. When algae goes sexual, spores get thrown and they can die off. The trick is having a large enough group of whatever it is you're growing to keep it in a couple different tanks. Or to have a grow-out tank or two for rescapes.

It's just... not as fun or rewarding longterm compared to freshwater planted tanks. Enjoyable for a while, though.

The two shallow tanks in the video above are my favorite. Easy to rescape on a regular basis and ideal for small invertebrates.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caulerpa is a b****..I do remember seeing a heavy growth of the feathery looking one going white and dead overnight on me. The flat leafed one is not as susceptible to that..but then again it can happen.
I never really tried the exotic red and purple types. Why,5-20 gallons is a good starting size.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Heck yeah,would love to see that. I think there is some real eye popping potential in this. Imagine a large macro Algae tank? I mean them and just hardiest of corals,hardiest of Anemones..You just can't equal that in freshwater.
Figure I'll start small. Ordered a new UNS 5S to see if that's what I want to use. If not, I'll use it for tiny hermits and some coraline-covered rock. May end up using a tank I've already got, though. Have some empty small ones to pick from: ADA 45-F, ADA 60-F, UNS 45L (it's similar to the 3gal longs I have in my signature) and myriad rimmed tanks. Or maybe I should use this new tank for macros...

Have some Hydor Pico powerheads and just need to go through them to find the smallest one I've got. Guess I'll have to settle for using a Betta heater of some sort with a controller, as there's not much that will fit in the tiny tanks I've got without looking hideous.

One of my favorite things about the salt side is 50/50 lighting. So I need to find a small LED fixture of some sort to accompany the small full spectrum fixtures I've already got. (If anyone has any recommendations, holler!)

Will start a tank journal once I have the time to get things set up. It won't be as gorgeous as the video above but hopefully I can finagle something decent. Since it'll mostly be an algae-focused tank with maybe a few crabs or snails, not too worried about die-offs and parameter shifts.

Really glad you posted this video, @Stan510. Gonna make for a cool little tank that's different from what we typically keep on this side of the hobby. Love projects like this that use up stuff I've already got.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Anemone might be sketchy as I believe thier main food source would be your "plants".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts