The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (1) 36" standard fluorescent bulb, (2) 96 w CF's on my 58 gallon- (1) 56K and (1) 67K. My red plants never get red except a little bit at the very top, my HC doesn't do well and my Glosso never grows in runners on the bottom to form a "carpet", it grows up. Think I need MORE light, or should I get higher K rated bulbs?

Tommy

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Increasing the color temperature of your bulbs, which is what the K rating is, will not change anything other than the appearance of the aquarium. So, you would have to either add good reflectors, assuming you don't now have them, or add more wattage of lights if you want to increase the light intensity.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Increasing the color temperature of your bulbs, which is what the K rating is, will not change anything other than the appearance of the aquarium. So, you would have to either add good reflectors, assuming you don't now have them, or add more wattage of lights if you want to increase the light intensity.

I thought so. I'm using the AH Supply 96 W CF's & reflectors. I can't believe that 192+ W isn't nough. I don't think I even have enough room in my canopy to add another 96 W setup.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Maybe you have diffiency in other places? Ferts? Substrate?

When I first set up my tank I was running 96w of coralife pc over my 30g 36" and I had red leaves and the HC started growing sideways along with the HM and rotala sp.green.

Now I am running 192w of 6700k over my 30g since the fixture is a duallight fixture so I have the option of running either or and am getting even better growth. I dose EI along with seachem EI and have Aquasoil substrate.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that you needed more light, just answering the question about how to get it. You should have plenty of light now, if not more than needed. So, making sure you are dosing adequate amounts of NPK and traces, and have an adequate amount of CO2 would be better approaches.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't suggesting that you needed more light, just answering the question about how to get it. You should have plenty of light now, if not more than needed. So, making sure you are dosing adequate amounts of NPK and traces, and have an adequate amount of CO2 would be better approaches.
I only dose Excel and Fluorish Iron. I have a decent bio load, so I don't dose much. The plants have excellent growth (other than the poor reds), color and overall condition.
I have PLENTY of CO2 (5-6 bbs). Every time I use any ferts other than that, I get algae, even with 50% weekly H2O changes. Heck, I'm getting some GSA now.
I just figured the vertical growth indicated a lighting issue.

Tommy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd say the way the glosso is growing that there's not enough light reaching those plants. Even with poor ferts the plants will grow sideways unless the substrate is completely lacking any nutrients. What is the substrate? Are there plants blocking light to the glosso? How old are the bulbs? As for the color I'm running 4 watts/gallon and I'm also having trouble growing red plants with only 6500K bulbs, they don't want to lose the green until near the very top.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using Fluorite and there's plenty of "natural" ferts from the fish. The bulbs are less than 8 months old, no plants are blocking the light. Some of the Glosso grows correectly, but most of it grows up. All my other foreground high light plants are fine. I have Blyxa Japonica, Pearl Weed and Whorled Pennywort.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Out of the blue the plants are starting to red up all by themselves with no other changes.:confused: At least their getting red.

Tommy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts