The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about HC and I found conflicting info. Some says HC needs a fertile soil and I read HC can be attached to rocks or logs. If thats the case than it doesn't need soil and is most likely not an aquatic plant but one that can survive underwater. For how long?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You are very misinformed. HC will live indefinitely underwater.

HC can be attached to stones or wood. It will spread faster, though, in a finer, more fertile substrate.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I currently have it planted in fine fertile soil but I like the idea of having some grow on drift wood so I was curious if anyone knew the truth. Being this is my first experience with this plant I only know what I read.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
No problem, there is a lot of bad information out there. HC, like most aquatic plants, absorbs most of its nutrients through foliar feeding (i.e. it is absorbed through the leaves/stems themselves). This is why it can be secured to various objects and grow well.

However, it can appreciate a fine nutrient rich substrate. ADA Aquasoil is perfect for it. Other commercial substrates perform well too.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's a very versatile plant, it can be grown emersed and submersed, on the substrate, tied to a rock/driftwood or grown on top of/mixed with some moss. But I don't know about HC taking most of the nutrients through foliage, It does have a good root system and it's not a fully aquatic plant (since it grows both above and below water level) so I would think that it's quite capable of taking nutrients with both leaves and roots.

I have found it to be easiest to grow in fine sand with good bottom ferts. So much easier to plant HC to sand than to Aquasoil. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't wait to see this stuff start to spread. I still have about 10 square inches left most of which seems dead. It came all the way from japan. So for now I have it floating in hopes that it will green up and grow a little before I try to do anything with it.

G

·
It will grow alot better/faster if you break that square up that you bought from Japan and put each little stem into the substrate, stem, by stem. (take a look at my 90p journal in my sig) - It will take alot of time (and some backach) but it will be worth it. Also even if it looks REALLY bad when you plant it (it may even look dead) the roots aren't dead and they will send out bright, green hc.

But you don't want to just lay someonelse's hc carpet in your tank - it will be hard to get it to grow in nicely.

Take the time, and plant it right - you'll be glad you did!

good luck

·
Registered
344 Posts
It should plant just fine in the eco. I have the same, just use tweezers to plant each piece. It is tedious, but its well worth it in the end. Good luck

G

·
what do you think is the best top layer for hc to stay submerged...Im having a problem keeping the hc down because eco complete is too coarse of a grade of gravel...what should i use?
Again, like I said, don't lay it down in mats. Take each little piece and plant it with tweezers. (you will probably find you won't need the entire mat) - you want them about an inch apart from each other.

This is the best way to get it to spread out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
still having a problem getting individual plants to stick to eco-complete because the grains are too big...i'm going to place a top layer of pool sand in the filter...quick question-how do i test the sand for hardness or how should i prepare the sand, i have already rinsed the sand a bunch of times, but idk if i should boil it or what the next step after rinsing it should be. any help is much appreciated!

G

·
still having a problem getting individual plants to stick to eco-complete because the grains are too big...i'm going to place a top layer of pool sand in the filter...quick question-how do i test the sand for hardness or how should i prepare the sand, i have already rinsed the sand a bunch of times, but idk if i should boil it or what the next step after rinsing it should be. any help is much appreciated!
I would push it down even futhur. The Ada as has pretty big grains also. I just had to push it down futhur. You may not see any of the plant at first. You will have to wait for it to grow up. It may take a week or two but it will grow up nice and green.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Youngsai, I have HC in Eco Complete and was having the same problem. In a nano tank and (too) aggressive gravel vacuuming it was getting disturbed and coming un-attached. My Eco Complete also sort of settles out the fine grains, which I understand it's supposed to, but then the top layer was kinda big.

I finally took a small amount of well washed sand and sort of sprinkled spoonfuls of stand right on the hc patches, figuring it would help root it and it would grow through and out into the light, helping to anchor it and encourage new growth. So far so good. I also am much more gentle with the gravel vacuuming now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Youngsai, I have HC in Eco Complete and was having the same problem. In a nano tank and (too) aggressive gravel vacuuming it was getting disturbed and coming un-attached. My Eco Complete also sort of settles out the fine grains, which I understand it's supposed to, but then the top layer was kinda big.

I finally took a small amount of well washed sand and sort of sprinkled spoonfuls of sand right on the hc patches, figuring it would help root it and it would grow through and out into the light, helping to anchor it and encourage new growth. So far so good. I also am much more gentle with the gravel vacuuming now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts