The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my 29g, upgraded (in Aug) from a 20g dirted tank that was giving me problems. Sand substrate, root tabs for plants, a little liquid fert and DIY CO2.

probably "overstocked":
6 vaillant gourami
6 brown tailed pencilfish
5 panda cories

everyone gets along but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for the scape, or how to add more hiding places? I'm hoping the swords will grow taller in the back right, and want to replace the val in the back left with crypt retrospiralis, or something else tall and spindly.

any thoughts on the open area in front? plant it out with crypts? leave it with botanicals?
the three sticks in the back hold up a wall of java ferns, it's not amazing looking - but the pencilfish like hanging out in there with the vegetation near the top of the tank. Are there other ways to get java ferns to grow "top down" ? thanks, much love

ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
'trates - 0-5ppm, not sure what eats up all my nitrates, floating plants?
ph - 6.4-6.6

Plant Plant community Natural environment Wood Branch

·
Registered
11 Posts
To give you an idea this is Swords in a 72 gallons ( old pics of 2011 ), the crypts in front was planted at same time, same size, plain gravel, Seachem root tabs

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Organism Aquatic plant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To give you an idea this is Swords in a 72 gallons ( old pics of 2011 ), the crypts in front was planted at same time, same size, plain gravel, Seachem root tabs
sweet, that's what I need! I guess patience and root tabs for now.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is the ph with or without co2. I.e, if your aquarium is blackwater (kh near 0) you need to be a bit selective in plants as many will not do well in very soft water. This is my aquarium using java fern on the right side and jungle val on the left to create hiding areas which my angles frequently use to avoid aggression:
Plant community Plant Vertebrate Nature Rectangle

The back is lined with sword plants but to be honest they do not do nearly as good as a job as the java fern (the black corner front right is just java fern blocking the light).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts