The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cycling my 29gal, and in the meantime thinking about how I want it to look in the end. Right now it has black fluorite capped with gravel. A look I like, its nice and bright. But it seems like a copycat of my smaller 10gal tank that has the same setup. I like the look, but want something different.

While I'm not worried about fish right now, would it be worth draining and scraping off the gravel and adding more flourite? Or would that just be an exercise in frustration? I'm debating going to my lfs tomorrow, I could pick up some more.

Would a big change like that disrupt the cycle?

Here she is, a lot of work to be done!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I guess it depends on how unhappy you are with the look. If you are unhappy, rescape now while your tank doesn't have any inhabitants. When I changed out the gravel entirely in my 10 gallon (lightly planted), it took about 3-4 hours from start to finish.

I read somewhere on this forum, that about 25% of the good bacteria exists in your gravel but the majority is in your filter (50%?...). Changing out the gravel *may* cause your tank to cycle again. You'd probably be okay though since you have little bioload.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would really suggest you to :
- remove that bright gravel and move to flourite only, will look nicer,
- or create a feeling of depth by removing it partially and try to create a way from front to back with your white gravel.

Your take is lacking feeling of depth. Another good way to make it look deeper is to create a downhill from back to front by adding more flourite behind.

Try also to integrate the rocks and drifts just not like they have been put on the gravel. Try to integrate them by creating a single point of interest, and put flourite around to make the feeling they are kind of stuck into the gravel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Jemminnifer, I don't not like the bright gravel, but its the same as my other tank. I do like how bright it is. So I decided to keep it. But now Vanadium, what you're saying sounds so good too! I just put in some more plants which I think helps, and I get what you're saying about the rocks looking integrated, not just plopped down. I will play around with that and see if it helps. But I think I may go back for another bag of fluorite. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts