The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Georgia Aquarium obtained 4 Whale Sharks that were taken out of the annual allotment for human consumption in Taiwan and one dies. A Beluga whale received from Mexico underweight and with skin lesions on his flipper, tail and body dies. Definetly bad luck for the aquarium, but you have to admit that Atlanta was a better future for them.

I am not a fan of the aquarium because of the design and difficulty of viewing the exibits. I don't think they pose any greater risk to the fish and animals than any other aquarium. The Georgia Aquarium Veterinary Services has a staff of 17 dedicated to keep these animals alive and healthy.

I think the rare species are just fine in Atlanta...even if viewing them is not as great an experience as at other aquariums.

Brian

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The Georgia Aquarium obtained 4 Whale Sharks that were taken out of the annual allotment for human consumption in Taiwan and one dies. A Beluga whale received from Mexico underweight and with skin lesions on his flipper, tail and body dies. Definetly bad luck for the aquarium, but you have to admit that Atlanta was a better future for them.

I am not a fan of the aquarium because of the design and difficulty of viewing the exibits. I don't think they pose any greater risk to the fish and animals than any other aquarium. The Georgia Aquarium Veterinary Services has a staff of 17 dedicated to keep these animals alive and healthy.

I think the rare species are just fine in Atlanta...even if viewing them is not as great an experience as at other aquariums.

Brian
I agree, I'm not sure how to explain how hard it must be to keep these animals in captivity, and if they where going to be eaten..... Well the time spent here was better than before.

The other whale had TONS of problems before it got there, so I think they are trying something really hard and some animals aren't making it.

Being a bit critical?

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think its being critical at all. The facility is poorly designed and while its advertized as the worlds largest, its really a series of separate tanks, which is misleading.

I have had the PR folks at Atlanta privately email me over my post, offering a free visit. The experience didnt leave me wanting to return however, and I certainly wouldnt pay to get in again.

But rather than allowing these to be eaten, why not set them free? They wrerent meant to be in this size "world". If you are indeed the worlds expert on keeping these animals, then keep them ALIVE, or let them GO.

chaz

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Georgia Aquarium Veterinary Services has a staff of 17 dedicated to keep these animals alive and healthy.

Brian
But something isnt working. We aren't talking about a few tadpoles, but an animal thats not going to replicate itself easily.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Maybe I typed it wrong... let me put it this way....

You go to the LFS and you see some fish you really want and it isn't doing well at all so you get it to try and save it, it goes well for a while then dies. You tried to save it but you couldn't because it was too abused before.

Also, if they release the whale sharks they will just be caught again.

Now,
I have had the PR folks at Atlanta privately email me over my post, offering a free visit. The experience didnt leave me wanting to return however, and I certainly wouldnt pay to get in again.
That I do find funny, I wonder who else visits these forums with out most of us knowing? USDA?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hopefully they don't take any more precious animals like that until they figure out what the hell they are doing wrong.

Personally they shouldn't be keeping Whale Sharks in there.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Hopefully they don't take any more precious animals like that until they figure out what the hell they are doing wrong.

Personally they shouldn't be keeping Whale Sharks in there.
I also agree, but is it better than being in soup?

Everyone interested in this I was browsing the news online and went to CNN.com they have a online news video archive thingy I ended up somehow on the aquarium and these events... had anyone seen the beluga whale that died? They received it in horrible conditions by the looks of it with a HUGE cut in the fins and really big nasty looking infections.

As for the whale shark I don't know. They say it's in a big tank as big as a football field, but that seems small to compared to the ocean:icon_neut ...

Now I would really be interested in replies from staff at the aquarium, and since someone Emailed you they must watch this site, so will you comment mysterious watcher?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd rather see the Whale Shark being properly hunted and actually used rather than wasting away in an aquarium unfit for them.

A 22ft long creature needs a lot of room to swim. Sorry but a football field length tank is not enough room.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Even though they keep whale shark in aquarium in Asia, I do think Georgia needed to think and research more before they got a whole group of them. One would have been fine to see what was up. I think it was lack of experience. Not enough research is done on whale shark, not even sure how it breeds...I hope someone figure it out, if they plan to keep them, because wasting them on death to amusement is kind of crappy. I honestly think the whale sharks is a "popularity" thing rather than a conservation thing at this point.... Do they sponsor research into wild whale sharks also or have field studies on them? just a thought...they do that at the aquarium i am at.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do they sponsor research into wild whale sharks also or have field studies on them?
List below is from the Georgia Aquarium Website. It looks like one current and two planned reserach projects.

Current Projects

Cancun Whale Shark Study: The project, in collaboration with Mote Marine Laboratory and the government of Mexico, conducts research to give a better understanding of the natural food eaten by whale sharks and population demographics of whale sharks through conventional tags and satellite tags.

Bacterial Succession in the Georgia Aquarium: This project, in collaboration with the University of Georgia, will be the first complete analysis of bacterial succession in a major aquarium and will give a better understanding of how bacteria affect water chemistry and fish health.

Veterinary Services Clinical Research: The Georgia Aquarium animal health facility conducts ground-breaking research. The facility analyzes nutrition, treatments and blood chemistry. The clinical research benefits both the exhibit animals as well as wild populations.

Coral Bleaching, Recovery and Conservation Project: This long-term monitoring project in Fiji is sponsored by the Henry Foundation and is in collaboration with the Georgia Institute of Technology. The project studies Caribbean coral genetics and live rock cultivation.

Aquaculture Program: The Georgia Aquarium is working with groups around the world on improved methods for farming giant cuttlefish, sea dragons, jellies and coral.

Future Research & Conservation Projects
- Whale shark sensory biology
- Whale shark tagging and cnservation in Taiwan
- Expanded aquaculture program and experimental aquaculture on rare species
- Researching giant squid, humboldt squid, sailfish and opah
- Right whale conservation & marine mammal stranding research
- Exploration of ocean depths 300 feet - 600 feet

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh that is great news! Especially nice to see they are activein whale shark study! I am jumping in my seat about aquaculture and right whale research!

I cannot wait to read reports from the Bacaterial Sucession research.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just about to post regarding. Are we finally going to see some action or are they just going to continue murdering these magnificent beasts?

chaz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts