The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 150 gallon w/ three Eheim 2217s. Although the water seems to be pretty clear, there are particles floating in the tank - not much water movement in certain spots. I can really tell by how much time it takes the ferts to be absorbed / mixed in.

Question - should I get a bigger Eheim to replace one of the 2217s, or a powerhead or two? If the powerhead, which one would you recommend.

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
I'd add one or two Koralias... the Doctors have 'em on sale right now, $24 or so for the #1, seems like a decent deal.

I don't think the tiny "polishing filter" will help much in a tank that large. It will probably clog really fast.

If money isn't an issue, a larger Filter (Eheim or perhaps FX5) would help too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes i agree with the two above add a powerhead or two its much cheaper and it is going to improve your circulation much more than just adding another filter. You have enough filtration, i thinks its just a matter of getting the water moving better to avoid getting dead spots in your tank.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I have a hard time finding a place to locate a powerhead that doesn't bend the stem plants in half and isn't an eyesore in the tank.

SteveU

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Get a larger canister and put lots of mechanical filtration in it. You have more than enough bio. 2217s have wimpy flow though.

Or an AC110, they work great. You can diffuse the waterfall with a sheet of filter floss so it doesn't agitate the surface too much (if you have CO2 and want to avoid that). For the price though, it's hard to beat. Use the sponge it comes with and put a bunch of filter floss in it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You just have to put the powerhead in the right location to where it does not blow your stems up I have a powerhead in my tank and i have tons of stems its just all about the placement, but it is an eye sore not much you can do about that one

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the feedback ... looks like I'll try the PowerHead first. Basically, does it help move the floating particles around the tank and eventually to the filter intakes? Besides, better circulation for ferts, Co2, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts