The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a canister filter for my 30 gallon tank that's been set up for six months. Ease of use and cleaning is very important to me, so based on my research I'm basically trying to decide whether I want an XP2 or a Eheim Ecco 2234. Please don't suggest an Eheim Pro as the price is prohibitive, and the Eheim Classic just isn't user friendly enough from what I've read, plus I really want baskets for the media. Between the XP2 or the Ecco, which would you all recommend? I want to use a Hydor inline heater, and I may eventually incorporate an inline CO2 reactor, but I'm not sure about the later. Does anyone know whether I'd need a 5/8 inch or 1/2 Hydor for the above filters?

Also, in regards to biological filtration, I've been using an Aquaclear, can I put the biomax from that filter into the new filter to seed it, or should I just set up the new one and ditch the old, with whatever bacteria in the tank plus the plants to take care of the biological filtration for a while?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't speak for the XP2, but I do like the eheim 2234... I'm using 3 of them and they all do a fine job. They're quiet, easy to clean and plenty of flow. I also use a inline heater and just installed an inline reactor yesterday. No flow problem whatsoever! You would need a 1/2 for the hydor if you go with the eheim.

You can place whatever media you have from your old filter into the new eheim. Depending on how long your tank has been up and running, you may not need to put any media from the old into the new. There should be plenty of good bacteria all over in your tank... on the glass, substrate and so on. If you feel better about using the old media, then by all mean use it...it certainly won't hurt anything. The eheim will certainly do it's job.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I would go with the eheim 2217 or rena xp3
I would go with the Classic series as well. I own a couple classic Eheims as well as an Ecco. Their really isnt that much difference. They both have baskets to held the media, and they both hold a prime very well. The Ecco series holds LESS media than the comparable Classic.

Personally, I dont care for the ecco line. I feel Eheim dropped the ball on that one.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Pro II's have media baskets, and a 2126 is not a lot more expensive than getting an XP2 and an inline heater. You'll only save about $60.00 and the 2126 is a filter you can move to a larger tank in the future instead of buying another whole setup.

Tommy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, no one locally sells Eheim filters or inline heaters, and to buy an XP2 by itself locally would be $140. I can get either the Ecco or the XP2, plus some media and the inline heater from Foster & Smith for $140 plus shipping. Just to get the Pro II 2126 without media would be $242.98 from the same site, and that's on sale. That's about $100 difference. Don't get me wrong, the Pro II's sound excellent in every way, but I just can't spring for that right now.

I guess the biggest question for me right now is the flow. The Ecco is only 145 gph and the XP2 is 300 gph. Even considering the Eheim Classics, their flow seems to be a lot less than the comparable XP2. My current Aquaclear is also 300 gph, so I'm not sure how much flow I really need for a planted tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can get an XP3 (not sure about XP2 price, don't think coupon applies to it) for 74.99 from Petsmart using XP3XP4 coupon code.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i have had a xp1 and now have xp3, extremely easy to maintain and i like that there's no filter bypass as it gets dirty. I only have to start the syphon when i first set it up, otherwise it's just lift the lever, detach and clean, then reattach and lower the lever - and it's all set.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Well, no one locally sells Eheim filters or inline heaters, and to buy an XP2 by itself locally would be $140. I can get either the Ecco or the XP2, plus some media and the inline heater from Foster & Smith for $140 plus shipping. Just to get the Pro II 2126 without media would be $242.98 from the same site, and that's on sale. That's about $100 difference. Don't get me wrong, the Pro II's sound excellent in every way, but I just can't spring for that right now.

I guess the biggest question for me right now is the flow. The Ecco is only 145 gph and the XP2 is 300 gph. Even considering the Eheim Classics, their flow seems to be a lot less than the comparable XP2. My current Aquaclear is also 300 gph, so I'm not sure how much flow I really need for a planted tank.
I got my Eheim 2126 from the Foster & Smith last year for $189.99. the media was another $30.00. I guess they went up. Sorry if I gave bad info. As for the flow, Rena rates their filters by pump flow only, not even in an empty cannister. Eheim rates the actual filter output flow with media as it would be in use, so it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Tommy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts