The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok everyone! I started a new tank on Tuesday, December 6th!

This was at one time a messy planted community tank, but I broke it down spent hours scrubbing and removing old gravel, and put in some new stuff!

SIZE: 50g
FILTRATION: Jebo 600 intake running through double sponge filter
LIGHTING: 2x42 watt t8's at 6500k, 2x21 watt t5's at 10,000k
CO2: 5lb pressurized
SUBSTRATE: Mr. Aqua planted tank soil
FERTS: Flourish complete line

Flora:

Ranunculus Inundatus
Cyperus Helferi
Pogostemon Helferi
Ludwigia Sengalensis
Poaceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo'
Alternanthera Reineckii
Anubias Nana 'petite'
Fissidens Fontanus
Peacock Moss
Flame Moss
Limnophila sp. 'Guinea Broad'
Rotala 'butterfly'
Syngonanthus belem
Syngonanthus manaus
Tonina Fluviatilis 'Lotus Blossom'
Polygonum Praetermissum 'Ruby'
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
Sphaerocaryum malaccense
Tonina 'Marble Queen'
Eriocaulon 'Matto Grosso'
Eriocaulon aquaticum
Eriocaulon amanoanum
Eriocaulon parkeri
Trithuria sp. 'blood vomit'
Rotala hippuris

Fauna:

Caridina Cantonensis var. 'Crystal Red Shrimp'
Caridina Cantonensis var. 'Crystal Black Shrimp'
Melanoides Tuberculata 'Malaysian Trumpet Snail'
L-144 Blue/Black eyed Albino Ancistrus

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think we may have to make a rule where people add "Photog equipment" along with listing Flora, Fauna, etc. Great shots there.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Looking good, even better when it's grown in a little. I like the pre-filter, I just did the same thing with a marineland magnum HOT canister on a 20L & love it. Tons of flow & massive filtration + micro breeding ground. Oh, & no sucked in shrimp haha

What are the dimensions on the tank? 36x?x18???

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dimensions are 48x18x12, so not quite 50 gallons, it's 200 liters.

And the CBS are hiding under stuff right now, not sure why. At the moment I only have about 20 shrimp in there... I'll end up transferring another 100 or so to start a nice colony, but want to make damned sure the aquarium stays at 0 ammonia, even though I started it with a well aged filter.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we may have to make a rule where people add "Photog equipment" along with listing Flora, Fauna, etc. Great shots there.

Sorry I totally missed your comment!

I think it's a pretty cheap point and shoot. The fujifilm finepix S1800.

On the manual modes I've gotten taking pictures of shrimp down to a science though... It takes a lot of time playing with the settings and reading the manual to get good with it though... Out of probably 20,000 photos I've taken with it, only about 500 are good... And most of those are more recent! haha

I'd love to get a DSLR, but that'll only happen when I win the lottery, those things are EXPENSIVE!!! Either that or I'll have to convince my dad that he needs a newer one, and I can buy his old DSLR and lenses off of him. But seeing as how he's unemployed currently, and I have a good job, I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon, lol.

Thanks though!

And I'll take some pictures of the CBS in there tomorrow, I added a piece of bogwood and the water got a little dusty, so no pictures tonight.

-- liam

·
Registered
6 Posts
very nice start, and nice dimensions for a shrimp tank... May I ask where you got the breeder caves?

I am looking for some for my planted shrimp tanks.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep, just a point'n'shoot with really nice manual features. I wish I could afford a dslr, but I'm not a rich man!

·
Registered
893 Posts
yep, just a point'n'shoot with really nice manual features. I wish I could afford a dslr, but I'm not a rich man!
LOL, you mean you were a rich man till you blew it all on shrimp. You really do take awesome pics dude, I wish I took half as well.

Did it clear up yet? We want a FTS!:bounce:

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, ammonia still at zero, there was a small spike i knocked down with prime a day after i put the plecos into the tank. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the soil since I haven't seen any ammonia since. If it was the soil I'm sure I would have had a CRS death by now, or my trumpet snails would have crawled up to the surface. Good stuff, I'm gonna be selling it pretty soon.

And that might be a nice trade, we'll have to talk about it soon. :>

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you kidding me, i wonder what u'll do if u get the dslr :)
BTW, how come ur waters so clean, i see alot of small particles in my tank, so macro shots usually doesn't come as good as i might expect, i have an old canon sx100 , pns , but does good job.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know... I've never really had a huge problem with debris, maybe the canister just does a super job.

Here are some updated pictures:

Some of the shrimp are mating already:

I really like the pattern on the back of this CBS, it's almost like the crown mosura head marking, just on the back:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts