The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
i added my mopani wood to my tank after two days of soaking in boiling water, it has only turned my water the slightest color of yellow and i kind of like it. i know alot of people think this wood is a hassle but i think its great and my java ferns fit right inside of it with no anchor. i will posting some pics later.
question: how long will it be before i have to replace my wood, and will it every dirty the tank up?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I use mopani driftwood in my planted tank. It initially did take months to get the tannin out, but I was using very large pieces, and did this in another container.

It's been in my take for about a year, and I have not seen any deterioration. I imagine that at some point I'll need to replace it, but I should get may years out of it.

Other that it leaching tannin, I never found that it would "dirty the tank up". Like any big object, it can create an area that collects dirt, but you can clean that out easily enough.

The up side is that mopani looks fantastic, and easily sinks without attaching it to a rock or some other anchor.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When i started in aquariums decade ago i bought mopani about feet long and after boiling it still took about a year for water to clear up. It is very hard wood, so i dont think that youll have to replace it since i had big pleco and couldnt do anything to it.
It wont dirty your water (colour it , yes) since its very hard and pieces wont come off as easy as normal wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.