The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these two lovely pieces of mopani for 9.99 plus tax each at Petco.
Now to get them leaching tannins and lowering my over the top pH.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no I WANT the tannins this time. My pH is outta whack need to buffer (lower)
Got a nice tea looking tank already whoohoo
I do have plenty of purigen which I forgot to remove from my filters whoops.
They will need recharging soon lol

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Still, it can be a bit excessive the first month or so, just keep tabs on the pH.

I have a nice piece I am growing java moss on. I placed the moss above the water line in the zone that the wood keeps wet by wicking up water, it then starts growing fronds down the stem into the water, in a most beautiful pattern. It is just a supper slow process, but seems a bit faster now with the new tube.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds awesome! Yes afraid my tanks will look like coffee for a while but price to pay for my limestone Texas water conditions.
Being Mopani is a South African export I guess you are familiar and probably amused at how much bits of wood sell for lol

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Petco ad other chain stores don't go through much effort to change the PH of the
local water wherever the store happens to be. So any fish they have are already
used to the PH you have.
But if you still wish to change what you have, home brew blackwater extract is more
consistent than a piece of wood in the tank. That may be enough at first, but the
effects will gradually diminish as it gets old.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree but for now as fresh it will get it down a bit. I think 8.5 is too high. But perhaps not?
Also I am slowly removing all decorations and going natural on decor so was going with wood eventually anyway.
I am not knowledgeable in homebrewed black water?
I know what it is and it's purpose but that's it?
I was going to add some peat moss to my filters?
Is that not a good plan?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yeah I love collecting rocks from rivers, they just have so much more character.

The photo isn't very sharp, but there are hundreds of tide lines going right around this river rock I picked out of a stream.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man I got super tea water yellow as the day is long.....but....
Fish and shrimp are seemingly in love with it more activity than I have seen in months.

·
Banned
483 Posts
I've had this white fuzz every time I put in alder cones or chollah wood. I think it's a fungus. You might want to try boiling the wood before you put it in your tank.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What's your KH? The alkalinity is probably what's causing your pH to be so high and may cause spikes despite the wood. I'm assuming you're using tap water? If so, that's probably where the alkalinity is coming from... unless you're over remineralizing for KH?
Once you neutralize the the KH, you should be good on your pH if you just use RODI for top offs and WCs. Maybe think about some alder cones and IAL in the coming months to keep your pH down if you plan to use alkaline/tap water.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had this white fuzz every time I put in alder cones or chollah wood. I think it's a fungus. You might want to try boiling the wood before you put it in your tank.
I did not boil because I wanted the tannins. They help lower pH.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's your KH? The alkalinity is probably what's causing your pH to be so high and may cause spikes despite the wood. I'm assuming you're using tap water? If so, that's probably where the alkalinity is coming from... unless you're over remineralizing for KH?
Once you neutralize the the KH, you should be good on your pH if you just use RODI for top offs and WCs. Maybe think about some alder cones and IAL in the coming months to keep your pH down if you plan to use alkaline/tap water.
I use tap water yes from a well in the country. We have a limestone aquafier so yes off the charts high pH.
Not much to do but fight to lower it.
Since previously I was unaware of my tap waters condition I was making the situation worse by constantly doing large water changes thinking I was helping things. *Facepalm*
Distilled etc prohibitive due to cost I run 3x55g and a 20 talk.
I guess peat moss and LESS water changes will be about the only solution.
RODI might be option but spendy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
OP, really nice wood pieces and for a really good price. The LFSs here really mark up any and all driftwood to ridiculous prices. I didn't know Petsmart had any besides artificial decorations.

A dip in peroxide should sort that out.
I have some really large manzinita branches that I even soaked, then bleached and dechlorinated prior to putting in and the fungus is going crazy. The ottos love it but it's annoying. You think taking them out and scrubbing with peroxide could really help?

I put one branch in a week before the other and the fungus seems to have almost disappeared on it by now.. maybe I should just let it run its course on the others.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP, really nice wood pieces and for a really good price. The LFSs here really mark up any and all driftwood to ridiculous prices. I didn't know Petsmart had any besides artificial decorations.

I have some really large manzinita branches that I even soaked, then bleached and dechlorinated prior to putting in and the fungus is going crazy. The ottos love it but it's annoying. You think taking them out and scrubbing with peroxide could really help?

I put one branch in a week before the other and the fungus seems to have almost disappeared on it by now.. maybe I should just let it run its course on the others.

As far as Petco yes they carry but you have to look down low almost floor level.
They usually have some slate pieces and a bin with the wood jammed in almost out of sight.
They also usually stock some in the reptile section but at much higher prices??? Odd..... But yes check fish section way down low under all the flashy plastic décor displays.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

mix some in a small spray bottle, and apply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It took me around 9 weeks to rid the tannins from my zoo med mopani - and I had been soaking it for about a month before hand. It'll start looking like tea after about 4 days still. Water changes galore!

number1sixerfan - I would notice a bit of fungus growing on some shadier parts of the wood. Excel dipped toothbrush during water change fixed it ASAP. I found my nerite hangs out almost exclusively on the wood too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.