The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always gone with malaysian driftwoods. I'm tempted to try mopani (even though before I have never really liked its look when compared to malaysian) driftwood....can anyone who has tried both tell me the pros/cons when comparing the two driftwoods??

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but IMO malaysian looks way more natural than mopani.
So this is exactly how I have always felt. But I wanted to experiment with mopani...but I hear mopani has it's disadvantages -- something about smelling funny? Or leaving more tannins? And also something about how malaysian's disadvantage is that it disintegrates more than mopani (although I have no had a problem with this in my malaysian drifts).

I can't get straight exactly what I had heard about Mopanis, that was one of the reasons I wanted to ask on this thread again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Mopani is very dense. It will sink without having to be soaked. The only drawback to mopani is that it's mostly round shaped when available, usually at Petco. You will never have any pointy looking pieces. Malaysian comes in a variety of shapes but the smaller parts tend to break down a lot faster. Though this will often take years of being soaked before it happens.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I agree that Malaysian looks more natural. I have seen amazing scapes with Mopani though. The main issue with Mopani is that it's hard to find unique pieces around me. I can get massive amounts of Malaysian driftwood in all shapes and sizes from multiple stores.

Mopani isn't sold as many places and the stores that do sell it always have a very "generic" selection. Petco/Petsmart have it but same problem, no variety.

I would say Mopani only looks good covered in moss as well, unless you find some amazing pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts