The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mopani driftwood been soaking for days, still leeching tannins

6241 10
A few days ago I purchased some Mopani driftwood from Petco and I've had it soaking in warm water since, changing out the water every 3 - 5 hours. The driftwood is STILL leeching out crazy amounts of tannins, to the point where it would be very noticeable in my aquarium.

Any way that I can expedite this process?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
A few days ago I purchased some Mopani driftwood from Petco and I've had it soaking in warm water since, changing out the water every 3 - 5 hours. The driftwood is STILL leeching out crazy amounts of tannins, to the point where it would be very noticeable in my aquarium.

Any way that I can expedite this process?
Boil it

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Although I have never used Purigen, lots of members recommend it for tannins.

I had a small piece of Mopani and it was still leaching 2-3 months later (after several days of repeated boiling and dumping the tannin-rich water prior to placing in the tank). I didn't mind the colour of the water, it was just amazing how long it took to fade.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I boiled a stump that was sold to me as mopani for hours. I dumped and refilled water every hour until it wasn't turning too dark a color from tannins.

·
Plant Clown
4,737 Posts
Agreed with the others, boiling will speed up the process. A few days isn't a very long soak, so if it's too big for boiling, or you can't boil for some other reason, plan on another week or two in the bucket.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed with the others, boiling will speed up the process. A few days isn't a very long soak, so if it's too big for boiling, or you can't boil for some other reason, plan on another week or two in the bucket.
It's just big enough to fit in a pot on the stove. Wife isn't too happy but last time I did this the tannins stained my bathtub lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also have Mopani wood from Petco. It's no longer leaching (bought it a month ago). I soaked it first, but it kept leaching so I boiled it. After boiling, I partially dried it in the oven at a low temp (150F)- careful not to burn it, I was nervous to discolor the tank again, and added one piece at a time to evaluate it. It leached a little more, but eventually stabilized and my tanks are clear. Water changes helped at the end.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
If the wife wants the stove back go to a farm store that caries chicken/cow/horse feed etc and look for metal feeder containers/buckets. I bought this at tractor supply co. (16"+ tall I think it might have been 18") to boil large wood and did it over a propane burner.

Dump water out into flower beds or planter pots instead of down the drain. The plants will love it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have big piece of mopani in tank now, i used dishwasher - "pans and pots" option, twice, than just add it to tank... water is crystal clear, just a little bit more dark than i had it before, but i like it ))

·
Registered
584 Posts
I soaked Mopani from Doctors Foster and Smith for weeks, then boiled it, and soaked it for a few days. It still discolored the aquarium water for months. Eventually, I added a bag of Purigen to my filter and the water cleared up. Purigen was saturated (turned dark brown). I've rejuvenated it, but not put it back in the filter yet. Water is still fairly clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.