The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. So my 10 gallon has a 12 hour photo-period; 4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on again. By the time I get home the lights are off. I do most of my maintenance and inspections in the morning before work so there are no visibility issues there but when I get home I'd like to be able to sit and enjoy the tank for a bit.

So, I'm looking to install some moonlights. My hood sits ~10 inches from the water surface and last night I held my phone up under the hood with my flashlight app using a bluish light and the effect was surprisingly pleasant.

So, what kind of fixtures/bulbs are people using for the moonlighting applications? I've never done this kind of lighting before so it's a completely new experience for me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You could use a short strip of LEDs. Look around, they're easy to find and install. You can power them from a small plug-in dc power source and just leave them on 24/7.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I'm using coralife lunar pods in moon white. 1-2 pods would be plenty for your tank especially if you can mount them up higher.

Craig

·
Registered
712 Posts
Why not just move the photoperiod so that it encompasses the time you spend at home after work?..Seems cheaper :p

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Om my 90g I just run a single bulb 8-10pm. I've had "moonlights" in the past and while it might look neat I can't really see much. lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
What's the fun in that? I see the tank lit and sometimes I turn lights back on for a bit but I'd like something less intense in the late hours.
Well, then you're really just looking for moonlights - not just the ability to catch your fish with the lights on after work ;)

In which case, I agree with you! There's no fun in that! Go for the moonlighting :eek:

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I enjoy the moonlight as I will sit and enjoy the tank with all the lights and the computer off and enjoy the tank for abit before I head to sleep.

Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts