The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed when the LED moon lights are on and the light in the room is off, the fish still able to detect motion outside the tank. I have 5 LED moon lights over my 60" tank. I am thinking cutting down to 2 LED if I were to leave them on all night.

thanks,
-mAx

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Don't forget, plants need a "sleep" cycle too. From what I've read, plants have most of their growth after dark.

FWIW, I use the white lunar lights too. The blue ones are blue to simulate natural moonlight at the depth of a coral reef.

Tommy <9))>>{

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Well, what else? I want to know how does it effects the plants and the fishes.

thanks,
-mAx

Mine only run for a bout 2 hours in the am and pm to simulate dawn and dusk. it doesn't seem to "bother" the fish, but the don't sleep until the lunar lights are off.

Tommy <9))>>{

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have one white one right in the middle. I keep it on all night. The fish love it and so does my amazon sword that is underneath. If the lumens are not strong the it shouldn't affect the plants sleep cycle. As for fish I don't even think they sleep.?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well, what else? I want to know how does it effects the plants and the fishes.

thanks,
-mAx
I highly doubt it will effect plants at all unless they are incredibly bright. Even there effect on fish is debatable, I'd not worry about it so much. The color is basically whatever you like. In deep water (marine) most of the light that penetrates is blue, in shallow water moonlight is still white. But people have used other colors, if you want natural you can try white, otherwise do whatever you feel like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.