The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figure it's about time to post up a journal of my 10 gallon. It is dubbed Ghetto-tank, because quite frankly it is pretty ghetto. Everything including the tank was had for under 50 dollars, and I'm pretty proud of that fact. It's been put together over the past few months, excluding the java fern which I've had for almost a year.

Fauna:

• 7x Neon Tetra
  • 3x Female Guppy
  • 1x Otto
  • Some snails
  • Some RCS

Flora:

• Java Fern
  • Java Moss
  • Juncus Repens (collected locally)
  • Xmas Moss
  • Elatine triandra - Guppies keep picking at it
  • Sagittaria platyphylla (collected locally)
  • Unknown stem in back left (collected locally)

Equipment

• Walmart special tank, filter, hood, & heater
  • 2 x 20watt spiral CFLs
  • 2 Liter DIY co2
  • Hacked Tom's mini filter for co2
  • OilDri Substrate mixed with black gravel

Totally rescaped... scroll down or see page 2 to see new pics
On to the crappy cell phone pics...

Thanks for looking! :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just guessing... but it looks like Sag. platyphylla in left central - it is definitely known from Union County, NC, may be elsewhere. Echinodorus berteroi (sp?) is known to occur in the NC coastal plain.

The rocks look like pure quartz and should be perfectly safe.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just guessing... but it looks like Sag. platyphylla in left central - it is definitely known from Union County, NC, may be elsewhere. Echinodorus berteroi (sp?) is known to occur in the NC coastal plain.

The rocks look like pure quartz and should be perfectly safe.
Thanks for trying to ID some of my mystery plants. I gave up on that a while ago, but I still like them.

its just like an aquatic ghetto!
That's exactly the theme I was going for. ;)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I bet the neons smoke fern! (; Nice tank!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you using any kind or frets? and it's not so ghetto, it's a good start. What are you trying to go for in the end?
I don't really have a rigorous dosing schedule or anything, just an Aqueon macro/micro combo or API Leaf zone macro whenever the plants look like they need it. I usually only do this a couple of times per week.

What am I trying to go for in the end? Is there ever really an end with a planted tank? :p

Really I'm just trying to keep this thing going and not kill anything. If I can manage that I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As soon as I got somewhat satisfied with my tank I decided to change it up a bit. Goodbye quartz hello driftwood.

I'm still not 100% happy about placement, so I'll probably be playing with it for a bit. Your opinions are welcome!

(Don't mind the cloudiness - I kicked up some crud from moving everything around)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not a big difference from last night, but I guess I stressed one of my guppies enough for her to drop a huge load of fry.

Anyone know how long guppies can hold sperm? Mine haven't been around males for almost 6 months!

Edit: I just realized the DW looks like the bottom half of a person kicking it at the bottom of my tank. LOL

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thank you. Now that I have the driftwood in there everything is starting to look better to me. While the quartz was unique and looked great under my moonlights, the driftwood gives it a much more natural feel. Hopefully I can leave it alone for a while now, but somehow I doubt that will happen. :)

-- I'll post pics of the final layout soon

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not a big difference from last night, but I guess I stressed one of my guppies enough for her to drop a huge load of fry.

Anyone know how long guppies can hold sperm? Mine haven't been around males for almost 6 months!

Edit: I just realized the DW looks like the bottom half of a person kicking it at the bottom of my tank. LOL
Some fishes can fertilize themselves. Eekk do you have any extra tanks/room to keep the guppy fries? What are you going to do with them? I guess you can say I'm forewarning you that livebeares can become a real "pest". Know what I'm saying?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.