The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a source where I can get some X montezumae swordtails? I am in California . I am starting a new140 gallon planted tank, and think these would look and do well in this set up

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Aquabid has them fairly frequently, if that helps. Note if you didn't know this already...only the dominant male will develop a sword at first. All the smaller males will pretend to be females until either the dominant male is removed or they grow large enough to challenge him...as a result, these fish can take a long time to sex out.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Aquabid has them fairly frequently, if that helps. Note if you didn't know this already...only the dominant male will develop a sword at first. All the smaller males will pretend to be females until either the dominant male is removed or they grow large enough to challenge him...as a result, these fish can take a long time to sex out.
Some of my swordtails take almost a year to sex, I keep my males and females separate. It is great fun watching the male "fight" for dominance in their tank... Well they don't really fight, it is more of a dance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.