The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a new tank set up for 2 weeks. Now, I am facing the problem with white hair algae and my monte carlo turned into translucent and some have yellow edges. I hope I could have some of your advice, thank you.

Plant Shade Grass Rectangle Glass
Plant Plant community Green Leaf Botany
Plant Plant community Botany Leaf Vegetation
Light Leaf Rectangle Grass Terrestrial plant
Plant Light Green Leaf Botany
Liquid Drinkware Water Solution Barware
Plant Plant community Leaf Grass Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community Leaf Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Plant community Botany Leaf Vegetation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as the algae, what is your light and water change schedule like? I assume your using an aquasoil. You didn't really give much information.
I'm using UNS soil. I set the light from 8 hours a day and I change the water every 3 days with NPK and Stability dosing after each water change. I assume it is bacteria bloom since it is the new tank. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If OP is using NEW aquasoil he can technically have no detectable nitrate and be fine.
I'm spitballing a bit with this. I don't see any algae. I do see the white edges on some of the leaves? Maybe some runners/roots from the Monte Carlo?

High light, CO2 and 0ppm Nitrates. Could that be causing the issue? Lack of nutrients? That's the reason I asked about the fertilization schedule.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I'm spitballing a bit with this. I don't see any algae. I do see the white edges on some of the leaves? Maybe some runners/roots from the Monte Carlo?

High light, CO2 and 0ppm Nitrates. Could that be causing the issue? Lack of nutrients? That's the reason I asked about the fertilization schedule.
Well, OP left very little information. We don't know the PH drop to determine co2 levels, but as far as nutrients the only thing he/she would be lacking would be micros and/or K. EI type tanks, heavy macro/micro dosing, ADA type tanks very little macro dosing since everything is in the substrate for a while.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Even with the UNS Controsoil? I'm using that in two of my tanks and didn't have any type of ammonia leaching or nutrient leaching. I started right into macro/micro dosing and am hovering around ~20-30 PPM on Nitrates.
OK, there's no problem dosing macros from the getgo, it's just not necessary. If you weren't dosing the macros you might not show much no3, but there would still be plenty of N in the substrate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts