The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in a new tank that I'm starting, I was thinking to use Monte Carlo. However, I keep seeing horrific images of floating pads of the stuff. And it's making me question what carpet plant I really want to use.

For those of you how have actual experience with any of these species... Which one anchors the best? I want it to stay put. My substrate is thick - it's ~3" of eco complete, with a ~1" sand cap. I did a 2-stage substrate, so that both deep rooting, and superficially rooting plants, could be happy.

Eco complete with pearlweed taught me a lot of tricks. That stuff will occasionally float out in chunks. But nothing like the humongous sections that I've seen with MC.

Glosso is awesome, but it seems to really be aggressively invasive. It would be worth the effort, if it stays put. Elatine hydropiper also looks great, but I've never kept this one. Not really sure about its behavior.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I havent tried monte carlo or glosso as a carpetting plant yet but will be with the MC soon so will be interested in the comments on this thread too.

Elatine hydropiper requires colder water to grow well from my understanding. I tried a tissue culture of it in an unheated small tank a while back and it was never able to establish due to the house being warm. Water temps were roughly 25C.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the biggest reservation that I have with Glosso, is that it seems to demand CO2 forever, and doesn't really tolerate a lot of variation from whatever parameters get it to really grow. Like, your bottle runs out, you don't have enough ferts, and it seems to instantly (and noticeably) regress. In other words, it's high maintenance.

I forgot a bit about the temperature with hydropiper. I keep my air conditioner set to 80, have no real winter, and I don't use a tank heater. So my temps are all over the place. But I never really see huge temp swings, either...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts