The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. I would really appreciate some help in diagnosing what issue is causing my Monte Carlo carpet to turn white and melt. My tank is approximately 2 months old. the first three weeks were great and the carpet grew out. then suddenly the plants started turning white and melting within a matter of days. I thought it was due to low calcium and fluctuating co2 levels. due to the melt I had a huge algae issue which I resolved with excel. my carpet is finally growing back but today again I noticed some of the new growth turning white! This happens very fast in a matter of one day. I don't know what's going on at this point.

here are my tank parameters

60 gallon tank running on two oase bombaster 600 thermo
one has a uv sterilizer and the other co2 diffuser and reactor
I have twinstar light set at 75% for 6.5 hours a day - afraid to go longer at this point due to dead plant material still dissolving from the initial melt
co2 is yellow - I have only a betta fish and he doesn't mind the high co2 level

I'm using green leaf aquarium ferts for EI dosing using the rotala butterfly calculator.
also using green leaf GH booster
I have some crushed coral in the filter to raise the PH a little bit for when I'm ready to add fish.

GH 9
KH 5
Ph 6.4
Co2 38-60 no fish
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0.25
Nitrates 40

please let me know your thoughts. much appreciated

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Welcome to TPT.

If you look very closely, I think you will see that Monte Carlo is melting.

I believe there are 2 reasons for that:
- are you sure it was grown submerged when you got it?
- both of your outflows are of the straight out design and you are likely not getting good circulation at the bottom.

Are the plants melting in groups, in patches? Then that's where your circulation is lacking.
I'd move the drop checker close to the substrate, give it 4-6 hrs and see if the color is changing.

Another fun way to check the circulation / flow is to drop a pinch of food dye in the center. You might want to video record to make it easier to see how the dye spreads in the tank.

Good luck (from another Oleg).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts