The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's the problem with MC. Carpets fine for a while then eventually dies off. I think it's because it relies quite heavily on roots to get macros from the substrate which eventually depletes especially if you have aquasoil and I have not found root tabs to work as well.

Replacing some of the aquasoil and replanting seems to work best for me.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That's the problem with MC. Carpets fine for a while then eventually dies off. I think it's because it relies quite heavily on roots to get macros from the substrate which eventually depletes especially if you have aquasoil and I have not found root tabs to work as well.

I always thought the substrate was compacting. If I vacuum and "fluffed" the substrate they grew fine again. Had the same problem with blyxa japonica

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes i have aquasoil and i try to vacuum off those powdery soil off. So i need to add on new soil and replant them?

·
Registered
225 Posts
If your aquasoil is a year old or more then I would suggest replacing some and then replanting a thin layer to let it grow out again.

If it is still new then I would look at other causes like gh (MC like calcium).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your aquasoil is a year old or more then I would suggest replacing some and then replanting a thin layer to let it grow out again.

If it is still new then I would look at other causes like gh (MC like calcium).

Ok. The soil has been 1.5yr. Will replacing some of it. Thanks

For the lighting, i am using RGB A451plus (35W 1800LM), should i on the light at 100% brightness for 7hrs?

·
Registered
225 Posts
For lighting, technically 100 par at the substrate would be more than enough but if you don't know or can't measure then just max everything out until there is too much algae for your cleaning regime to handle (hopefully you'll be getting good growth also), then dial it back until you're happy with growth levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For lighting, technically 100 par at the substrate would be more than enough but if you don't know or can't measure then just max everything out until there is too much algae for your cleaning regime to handle (hopefully you'll be getting good growth also), then dial it back until you're happy with growth levels.

Thanks 😀

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Ok. The soil has been 1.5yr. Will replacing some of it. Thanks

For the lighting, i am using RGB A451plus (35W 1800LM), should i on the light at 100% brightness for 7hrs?
I don't think it's the light. I have MC growing in low light it's deep green but grows very slowly. (Sub is bright well aquatics) My high light tank it was going well in safe t sorb but would die off periodically.
I now have pool filter sand and flourish root tabs and it's all rotted away to nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it's the light. I have MC growing in low light it's deep green but grows very slowly. (Sub is bright well aquatics) My high light tank it was going well in safe t sorb but would die off periodically.
I now have pool filter sand and flourish root tabs and it's all rotted away to nothing.
Most likely is the soil.
Earlier was asking what is the best light intensity (red, green and blue) as i am worried of having algae issue if the intensity is at 100% for 7hrs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts