The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

New here, apologize in advance for any missing information or newbie mistakes. Just have a few questions about my carpet plant:

Tank info:
  • 200 litre
  • Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 300 filter
  • CO2 5L canister, starts 1h before the lights start (drop checker shows dark to a little lighter green)
  • 2 x Zetlight Lancia2 ZP4000-742PW running for 6h per day at 80% white and rest are between 40% and 60%
Tank parameters (Using Aquatest Pro from JBL strips):
  • NO3 ~ 50ppm (bad)
  • NO2 ~ 0ppm
  • GH should be >4, >70
  • KH ~ 3 to 53 (not that great)
  • pH ~ 6.5
  • CL2 ~ 0
So the tank has been running now for about 3 months and the carpet was going very well at the beginning, the growth was visible if you took a picture evεry few days. At some point I added a few Hygrophila Corymbosa plants and while they where doing pretty well for a few weeks then the downfall started. It has been a month now that I am battling with black algea (I bought a few SAEs recently το help but shrimps are out of the question as I have angelfish inside and they are made snacks) and the growth of the carpet has been reduced significally. There are new carpet stems popping up from here and there and I trimmed it very little since the beginning, mostly to remove the algea infested leafs but still I am not sure if there is nutrition deficiency or the high nitrates are causing the issue. Currently I am changing the water every 1 week, about 30% of it and I am vaccuming as much as possible the bottom to pick up decomposed food and fish poop as I don't have any bottom feeders in it (they are rooting out the carpet).

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Thank you!

Here are a few screenshots:
Plant Green Leaf Vegetation Window

Plant community Green Leaf Branch Sunlight

Green Plant Organism Sunlight Rectangle

Plant Green Plant community Leaf Botany

· Registered
4,655 Posts
What fertilizer are you using? What you are describing sounds pretty classic for when someone doesn't use any or doesn't use a complete fertilizer. You haad good growth when your substrate was new and now it is stalling as that initial burst gets used up.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What fertilizer are you using? What you are describing sounds pretty classic for when someone doesn't use any or doesn't use a complete fertilizer. You haad good growth when your substrate was new and now it is stalling as that initial burst gets used up.
Hi!

Many thanks for your reply.

I am using NPK Booster from Dennerle but to be honest not that often..I think I might have used it 3 times since the first day that the aquarium was build and the reason is that it promoted algea, a lot so I was a bit afraid however it was in my intention that maybe I should use it from now and on on each and every water change. I read somewhere though that Monte Carlo is a root feeding plant and will not care than much for the water fertilizer but rather a rich soil, not sure if that is correct though...

· Registered
4,655 Posts
Hi!

Many thanks for your reply.

I am using NPK Booster from Dennerle but to be honest not that often..I think I might have used it 3 times since the first day that the aquarium was build and the reason is that it promoted algea, a lot so I was a bit afraid however it was in my intention that maybe I should use it from now and on on each and every water change. I read somewhere though that Monte Carlo is a root feeding plant and will not care than much for the water fertilizer but rather a rich soil, not sure if that is correct though...
If the roots are wet then anything in the water is getting to them. The whole idea of certain plants being 'root feeders' is a myth. All plants get nutrients through their roots (assuming they grow roots). Anyway, follow dosing directions on the bottle and be super consistent about it. Start doing big water changes every week (50% at a minimum, more if possible). Make sure your lights are on for no more then 8 hours a day. Start doing this and you will get into a much better place. Then you can consider what to do about the existing algae. You can treat it chemically (look up the 'one two punch' on the forums), or you can manually remove the effected growth with scissors, or you can wait for the plants to out compete the algae.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the roots are wet then anything in the water is getting to them. The whole idea of certain plants being 'root feeders' is a myth. All plants get nutrients through their roots (assuming they grow roots). Anyway, follow dosing directions on the bottle and be super consistent about it. Start doing big water changes every week (50% at a minimum, more if possible). Make sure your lights are on for no more then 8 hours a day. Start doing this and you will get into a much better place. Then you can consider what to do about the existing algae. You can treat it chemically (look up the 'one two punch' on the forums), or you can manually remove the effected growth with scissors, or you can wait for the plants to out compete the algae.
Hi!

I will do so and provide an update. Thank you very much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts