The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, just totally rescaped my 12g fire bookshelf tank.

Fire bookshelf tank. 90cm Length x 25cm Height x 21cm Depth in 8mm low iron clear glass.
Hardscape - Seiryu stone
Plants - Monte Carlo
Substrate - Recycled the Aquasoil from the last scape.

Will let it DSM for a few weeks I think. Once flooded I will add some mosses. Hoping to keep this one low maintenance.
Any tips on DSM? I plan on really just maintaining moist soil (no pooling) and letting it breath every couple of days for 30 minutes.

Day 01

Day 09

Day 25

Day 33

Day 40

Day 60(ish)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks good, for DSM your plan sounds good, I think most people fail with DSM by putting too much water and rotting away/creating mold on everything but you seem to be ontop of that. The flip side is letting it get too dry, but I think as long as you keep it moist but not enough to actually pool water at the substrate level you will be fine.

What light is that?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good, for DSM your plan sounds good, I think most people fail with DSM by putting too much water and rotting away/creating mold on everything but you seem to be ontop of that. The flip side is letting it get too dry, but I think as long as you keep it moist but not enough to actually pool water at the substrate level you will be fine.

What light is that?
Yes I will need to keep a eye on water levels as the soil was completed soaked from my previous scape, but I syphoned out most of the water. Probably wont need to be misted for awhile.

The Light is a Up Aqua Z LED. I think its a low end light but hopefully will grow the MC

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - Day 09 DSM, Monte Carlo is real starting to sprout new growth and green up, hard to tell from the day 1 to day 9 photo but i am happy with the progress. I wonder how this cold weather we have had in Perth lately effects a dry start...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - Day 25, grown out slowly but steady, removed some stone from the far right and pushed the big stone forward slightly, needed to make room for the surface skimmer I want to run which will also increase the flow from that end of the tank.

I can see the MC has put down roots that are about 1cm long!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 40, starting to get a bit of standing water, mite flood soon.

Intrestingly the MC that gets less light is a nice dark green, while the MC that gets full light is a bit pale, this pale MC also has less soil depth, I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

I shoved some Dino Dung into the bare areas of soil, this is old re-used soil... hoping this helps with nutrients, tho i just read not to smash up dino dung pellets, which I did, will probably have a big of clay dust when I flood

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It should be considering the other parameters would be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
will also run a heater in this tank... mite try aim to flood them at the same time tho the 2ft tank would have had about 2 weeks less dry time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, 2 month dry start, not to much to report, the MC has grown slower but perhaps thicker in this tank compared to my other 2ft scape (which I have now flooded) I put this down to the recycled aquasoil.

Yesterday added hair grass and dwarf hair grass to the back left, originally i left this area clear for the heater thinking i would lay it down low but decided to just place it vertically in the left rear cnr. I mite flood this next weekend.

My glosso jar is going ok. I also planted the left over hair grass in a little plastic container and covered with a glass, tho its probably planted to thick to get any good growth.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drilled the top of my stand today, made the holes about 4cm should be able to squeeze double taps through for ease of cleaning etc, edging closer to flooding, just need my pipes to turn up from Hong kong! Mite get a little more DHG to speed up the carpeting of the back left cnr... any ideas on how fast this stuff spreads?

Moved all the regular HG behind the rocks, will keep the left side low.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.