The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started this 9gal fluval flex 7 days ago
What do you think about the growth and health of the plants? I feel as though the monte carlo should have grown more?
Is there anything I can do to slow down the growth of sylvania as it covers the top every 3 days...

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
No Monte Carlo doesn’t grow super fast. Looks really good for 7 days. Mine took a month to fully carpet

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Monte Carlo doesn’t grow super fast. Looks really good for 7 days. Mine took a month to fully carpet
I have yet to trim can I cut off some tall stems and replant them? Or will they rot I'm new to this plant

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have yet to trim can I cut off some tall stems and replant them? Or will they rot I'm new to this plant

This is a great idea. Definitely do it. Most, if not all, will survive and add to the growth. Regular trimming helps promote the spreading of runners too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a great idea. Definitely do it. Most, if not all, will survive and add to the growth. Regular trimming helps promote the spreading of runners too.
Will definitely trim them soon!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, you can do this for sure, great idea and will fill in a lot faster! Just be gentle as you don't want to uproot them, even if you do, don't worry, just trim what you want and replant!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you can do this for sure, great idea and will fill in a lot faster! Just be gentle as you don't want to uproot them, even if you do, don't worry, just trim what you want and replant!
Will definitely do. I have been trying to get them to pearl... after a water change whey pearl but that's about all I was wondering if I put an air stone in the rear compartment will they pearl more?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Will definitely do. I have been trying to get them to pearl... after a water change whey pearl but that's about all I was wondering if I put an air stone in the rear compartment will they pearl more?

The reason plants pearl after a water change is due to the fact, the tank water gets saturated with O2. The oxygen produced from photosynthesis can't be absorbed and becomes visible to the naked eye.

So for it to happen all the time, you need to do a few things;
  • Water to be saturated with O2 (good aeration)
  • You need a good amount of photosynthesis (good lighting) Your lighting looks fine already
  • CO2
  • Plants to be healthy overall
I would suggest doing things slowly and working your way through everything. I have seen and heard of some getting plants to pearl with just good lighting and aeration, so start there, then work your way into Co2 as you get more comfortable. This hobby is all about learning, and no one tank is the same. The community here is great and will help you the entire way.

I'm no Pro, far from it, but this has been my experience and what I have read and learnt over my years of being in this hobby.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The reason plants pearl after a water change is due to the fact, the tank water gets saturated with O2. The oxygen produced from photosynthesis can't be absorbed and becomes visible to the naked eye.

So for it to happen all the time, you need to do a few things;
  • Water to be saturated with O2 (good aeration)
  • You need a good amount of photosynthesis (good lighting) Your lighting looks fine already
  • CO2
  • Plants to be healthy overall
I would suggest doing things slowly and working your way through everything. I have seen and heard of some getting plants to pearl with just good lighting and aeration, so start there, then work your way into Co2 as you get more comfortable. This hobby is all about learning, and no one tank is the same. The community here is great and will help you the entire way.

I'm no Pro, far from it, but this has been my experience and what I have read and learnt over my years of being in this hobby.
I'm already running co2. Was looking into aeration but I'm afraid of Algae

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Tank looks super bright! Is this with the stock light?
Yes it is the stock fluval flex 9gal light people Write reviews saying the light isn't bright clearly they don't know you can turn it up with the remote. Even has a full RGB mode for full spectrum! 7500k light

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sorry, I didn't see the little CO2 bottle before! What colour is your drop checker? I couldn't tell from the image.
It's a perfect green! Running 0.7 BPS 8mg/l with digital tester
I have a 20oz paintball co2 tank sitting beside it just thought I'd use the little bottle it came with before the larger one. No need to apologize. I'm hoping when the surface skimmer arrives in the mail my aeration will go up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a perfect green! Running 0.7 BPS 8mg/l with digital tester
I have a 20oz paintball co2 tank sitting beside it just thought I'd use the little bottle it came with before the larger one. No need to apologize. I'm hoping when the surface skimmer arrives in the mail my aeration will go up.

It will definitely help, will also allow for the more gas exchange, removing any oily film from the surface.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
114 Posts
You're monte carlo looks very happy, you should take a photo each week and you'll realize how much it is growing, before you know it, you'll wish it was grow slower. All those floating bits after a trim is never fun haha.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're monte carlo looks very happy, you should take a photo each week and you'll realize how much it is growing, before you know it, you'll wish it was grow slower. All those floating bits after a trim is never fun haha.
Yeah I agree with you there! I usually net the most that I can then use a surface skimmer for the tiny pieces

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm already running co2. Was looking into aeration but I'm afraid of Algae
You could do a small change to improve your CO2 dispersal. Angle the left side outflow so that it riffles the water surface a little. lift the angle of the nozzle up so that the flow cause a little wave action, then hits the left side glass and flows down and disperses your diffuser's CO2 bubbles along the bottom of the tank. It should also improve your gas exchange at the tank surface.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts