The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone I managed to get my hands on some of these reflectors that are normally used for tube heating systems to reflect the heat back to the floor. I have 2 different shapes as you can see in the pic one is a flat reflector that is about 17.5" wide and the other is a "W" shape that is about 13" wide. I have 20' of each shape in 10' sections. By looking around at other reflectors I have decided to sell the flat larger reflector for $15.00 a foot and the "W" shaped reflectors for $10.00 a foot. I will tell you that the flatter sheids are slightly dented on one end but will straighten out nicley. These reflectors would be great for any type of retrofit lighting from normal flourecents to Metal halides. I will do my best to cut these very nicley but they might need a bit of straightening as well. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try and answer them. Also buyer pays actual shipping costs.remember the larger the piece the more the shipping will be. thanks

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
You might want to check the prices on AH Supply reflectors......DC

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part 21008 - MIRO 4 Reflector for one 13 watt compact
8"L x 3"W x 1.5"H. Specifically designed for one 13w compact bulb, this reflector employs nine facets in a modified M shape.
Price: $8.99

This is off of their page and its WAY smaller than what I am selling. I think I am fair here.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Part 21008 - MIRO 4 Reflector for one 13 watt compact
8"L x 3"W x 1.5"H. Specifically designed for one 13w compact bulb, this reflector employs nine facets in a modified M shape.
Price: $8.99

This is off of their page and its WAY smaller than what I am selling. I think I am fair here.
I didn't imply it was unfair, your words, but if you really want to compare price what does a 34.5" (almost 3 feet) cost off that page?

Additionally, have you placed lights into one being used as a reflector? How well does it work? Is there any restrike? How much does it weigh per foot? I might be interested in several feet since Kim has already told me his reflectors were designed for power compacts and do not work well with T-12s.....DC

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3' is $19.99 but its only 4" wide. these are 17". at 4 times as wide 3' of equal amount of shield would be $80.00. I haven't placed a light in these but heat will act alot like light and these were designed to direct heat.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
sorry as for weight they are very light. one 10' section is about 10lbs I think.
So it is a pound a foot? That would be around $5 shipping per foot?....DC

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
At 17" wide it's basically going to be a flat polished reflector for most applications.
Yep. If you check out SLS Tek reflectors or the AHS reflectors, they wrap around the top half of the bulb to harness as much "stray" light as possible and reflect it down into the water. Like Rex said, if you have a small T12 (1 1/2") bulb in the middle of a 17" wide reflector, it isn't going to do much good.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Yep. If you check out SLS Tek reflectors or the AHS reflectors, they wrap around the top half of the bulb to harness as much "stray" light as possible and reflect it down into the water. Like Rex said, if you have a small T12 (1 1/2") bulb in the middle of a 17" wide reflector, it isn't going to do much good.
Why would someone put one T-12 bulb in a 17" wide reflector? That doesn't make any sense......DC

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes this will be roughly a pound a foot. yes they are for the most part flat but if you look at the pic closer it isn't just square. I wasn't intending these for 1 t-12 bulb that would be a complete waist of space. I intended these to be used for metal halides or many light fixtures or even a mix between MH or flourecents. Be creative with these things. if you are looking for the "best" possible design for lighting these might not be what your after. If you are a DIY like me than these things are a huge upgrade from mylar sheeting or white paint.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Why would someone put one T-12 bulb in a 17" wide reflector? That doesn't make any sense......DC
Sorry, what I was trying to say was that these aren't as efficient as the single-bulb reflectors like the Tek or some of the AHS supply reflectors. With a T12 setup, I think AHS reflectors might would better.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
yes this will be roughly a pound a foot. yes they are for the most part flat but if you look at the pic closer it isn't just square. I wasn't intending these for 1 t-12 bulb that would be a complete waist of space. I intended these to be used for metal halides or many light fixtures or even a mix between MH or flourecents. Be creative with these things. if you are looking for the "best" possible design for lighting these might not be what your after. If you are a DIY like me than these things are a huge upgrade from mylar sheeting or white paint.
Most likely better than the mylar sheeting. :) With a combined MH/fluorescent setup, one could probably use a Brinks hood and then have the reflector for the flourescent setup. :)

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Sorry, what I was trying to say was that these aren't as efficient as the single-bulb reflectors like the Tek or some of the AHS supply reflectors. With a T12 setup, I think AHS reflectors might would better.
AH Supply reflectors do not work well with T-12s, covered that a long tiime ago with Kim and have been looking for a decent reflector since, maybe these will fit the bill......DC

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do you figure?? These things are twice as big as any other shields on the market!.. where else can you get say a 6 foot long 17" wide sheild for $60.00?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts