The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a free sample of Monosolenium tenerum last fall and filled most of my 5.5 gallon covered with rocks of the plant. I have almost zero algae in the tank, but the underside of my pellia thallus grow this white fuzzy stuff that looks like algae, but I'm not sure if it algae or the filament structure as described in this article.

Tropica

It never grows on the top of the leaf structure facing the light only on the underside. Does anyone else have the same growth on the underside?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't see any such fuzz on mine. (just looked now)

It could be the anchoring structers (technicaly not roots), some liverworts get them. Not my monosolenium though....

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
yeah they look a bit like cilia right?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they look like cilia, I was just wondering what in the hell they were. I despise algae was really hoping that they were a natural formation on the plant. Thanks for answering my questions.

·
Registered
714 Posts
In my pellia the white rhizoids grow only on the underside of the middle vein of the thallus, so it might be a good way to recognize which is normal and which is algae or fungus.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! Thank you for posting that Rain, that is exactly what mine has. They are not as defined as your picture, but they do only grow on the underside along the vein. Thanks for easing my algae paranoia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts