The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of gold doubloon mollies in a tank and after a bit I had a few more. Now those babies are pretty well grown and they have started poking about with one another. I have noticed some new babies swimming about the tank and have started to wonder if I should let these fish keep dipping back into the same gene pool or if I need to put a stop to this madness? If I have learned anything from my observations with the English ruling class, no good can come from this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like my Guppy tank I set up for my daughter.
I brought home 2 males and 3 females. 3 months later we had 3 tanks full of guppies!

I'm not an expert...

But I do believe that it will affect the health of the fish as the generations continue.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Whether inbreeding among fish is really a bad thing seems to be a bit of a debate. I THINK the biggest risk is spinal deformities, but that may just be the one that seems worst to me. Either way, unless you're selectively breeding them for certain traits, it couldn't hurt to trade some in for some genetic diversity.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
As mentioned one or two generations is not too much concern but then we don't often know how many times they have inbred already when we get them. As times goes on, the number and type of defects will likely get more obvious. So there are two things at work here. One is the defects and the second is overcrowding. The first creates bad fish but the second can be worse as it creates dead fish if not addressed in some way.

Too bad the ruling class in the human species has not observed the hen house closer. They would have seen what happens and be doing more to correct the situation, rather than depending on disease and war to control things.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
One or two generations of inbreeding is alright (I swear some reputable Angelfish breeders even go up to 4 or 5 generations, memory is hazy though). More than that and they become genetically weak, making them less hardy, weaker immune system, shorter life span and possible deformities. So yeah, trade in the juvi's or adults into the LFS and get some "new blood" into the mix.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
With strict culling inbreeding can create 'better' fish- stabilize a certain color, or fin shape or other trait.
But without that strict culling any deformity that is in the original parents genes will ultimately be reinforced and you will end up with weak, deformed fish, or other problems.
I agree with PlantedRich- we do not know how closely related the parents already are, except for the information that they are the same carefully bred color. This suggests they are already closely related.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, selective/line breeding can produce fish with appealing/new traits, but most of them are not nearly as hardy/healthy as natural occurring specimens simply due to those traits more often than not, being a "rarity" and are inbred for that reason, otherwise it would take a even longer time to get the traits they want.

Well-meaning, reputable breeders would inbreed a couple generations for the desired trait, but still mix in new fish genetics to keep the strain healthy. Takes longer to get/maintain the desired traits where they want them, but the fish health/longevity/vitality is much better than the fish that are inbred much more to achieve the traits much faster. So it depends on the strain/pedigree and how they were bred.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I guess the general consensus is to introduce new genetics to this equation before I end up with some deformities. That was my thought to begin with but it is good to know that a couple of generations of inbreeding will not cause too much havoc.

It is an interesting experiment that I have going here. I may try selectively breeding some of the fish with the more dominant black/gold coloring to see if I can enhance the colors at all. This is a bit of a practice in eugenics on a micro level. I feel like I'm playing god. Bwahaha...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts