The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum scene but I was wondering if I could get some advice about a couple of manzanita branches that I purchased online about a week ago.
The branches are sandblasted and were advertised for use in aquariums but in addition to the normal white/transparent mold, the branches have also been developing patches of black mold. Based on some of the smaller twigs that were clearly dead before the branches were cut (they are also the only branches that aren't growing mold) I'm starting to wonder if the wood wasn't all the way dead/dried when I put it into my aquarium.. and that has me a little concerned that the wood might be rotting. My question now is if it is best to take the wood out and let it age outside of the aquarium? Or leave it in and hope that the mold gets taken care of naturally?
I'll attaching a picture of the branches, thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the poor picture quality, but I am confident that this is not black beard algae. I have BBA in another one of my tanks and this black growth is close to the wood, underneath a layer of clear/whitish fuzzy mold. Just to give a little more background info about the tank, it was set up 5 days ago, and I have left the light off except to check on the progress of wood.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It is mold, caused by sugars in the wood seeping out. As far as I know it's harmless, as the fungi only feed off carbohydrates and sugars.

I've seen this happen tons of times with my own driftwood, ramshorns seem to love munching on the mold.

I have kept Tetras, snails, plants, and shrimp with this kind of mold with no drawbacks, not even an outbreak at a later date. The mold consumes the leached sugars in the driftwood and either spreads to more driftwood or is eaten or dies off.

No deaths due to mold on driftwood to date.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is mold, caused by sugars in the wood seeping out. As far as I know it's harmless, as the fungi only feed off carbohydrates and sugars.

I've seen this happen tons of times with my own driftwood, ramshorns seem to love munching on the mold.

I have kept Tetras, snails, plants, and shrimp with this kind of mold with no drawbacks, not even an outbreak at a later date. The mold consumes the leached sugars in the driftwood and either spreads to more driftwood or is eaten or dies off.

No deaths due to mold on driftwood to date.
Thank you AVN, that is very reassuring to hear! If you don't mind my asking, did any of your driftwood return to it's normal color after the black mold died off?
I've also been wondering if anyone has tried combating tank mold by promoting acidic/tannic water? I have an RODI unit and some peat & oak leaves that I was planning on using in this tank...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone reading this that is having a similar experience, it took about 3 weeks but the mold is almost completely gone.

·
Registered
536 Posts
this is normal and happens to me 100% of the time when I add a "virgin" manzanita branch into a tank, by virgin i mean that its still white and has never been in a tank before, it eventually goes away either with time or via fish/shrimps eating it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Lfisher,

Same is happening to me. Its been about a month and a half and I'm still getting a little, though it seems to be slowing down. One thing I can assure you is that it doesn't / won't harm fish or shrimp. My Oto doesn't seem to go for it so much, though I've caught the Amano shrimp munching on this stuff.

Aside from not looking so nice, it really poses no harm.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand the discoloration but no one has mentioned the awful smell generated by this mounding process… it smells like a sewer

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I understand the discoloration but no one has mentioned the awful smell generated by this mounding process… it smells like a sewer
Lol zombie thread. If you're having issues with smells like that it's not normal driftwood mold/ rot. I'd remove the driftwood and boil the crap out of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts