The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have come up with a possible outdoor culture regime for Moina for next summer...how does it sound?
MOINA CULTURE SETUP
- Two 5 gallon buckets, used outside during the warmer months (might not keep
the culture over the cooler months)
- Uses a lid with a hole with insect screen attached over it and a smaller hole
for the airline (1/2-1/4th of an air line). Will not use a heater.
- Use water dechlorinated with ClorAm-X and using the persian killifish salt mix.
- Set up culture with 16 liters water, .875 ml (5 * .175 ml, coming to .125 grams
per gallon) yeast, and 400 moina.
- Use floating plants to help control ammonia, but do not allow them to cover more
than 1/2 of the surface.
- Harvest culture 5-7 days later or when culture has roughly 15 moina/ml. Reset as above. If
culture clears before moina reach that level, feed again.

MAINTENANCE COSTS;
-2 watt air pump; .11
-About 9.05-13.58 ml yeast a month; .17-.26

TOTAL; .28-.37/month (coming to 79,000 moina/day)(84,760-64,142 moina per penny)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm exceedingly bad at feeding filter feeding organisms with dead stuff/yeast. Any reason why you're not going with green water?
Convenience. The feed rate given above was to be fed once in 5-7 days, and only fed again after that (in this case, after a 100% WC). Also, the guide I read recommended stirring the culture daily to put food back in suspension (speaking of which, here you go...https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa024 )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.