The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to modify a HOB filter for juvie/shrimplets. The intake is pretty powerful, I tried wrapping some filter 'sock' around it but it stopped the water from flowing into my filter completely. :icon_ques

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used a piece of pantyhose at first, but now use a Fluval sponge. It is black and already had a hole in the center. My Shrimp LOVE grazing on the sponge. If it gets clogged I just run water into the center.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I also second the fluval Filter sponge, I have like 8 of them lol
They fit on my aquaclear 20's nicely and look a lot better. Going to see if one fits on my Rena, the Rena one works but is too big around so it has to be rubber banded on there, then gets squished, so it doesn't look the best.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Is there a way to modify a Tetra Whisperfilter? The intake is an integral part of the filter; there's no intake pipe.

Nylon and rubber bands don't sound that elegant.
Only way would be to either fit a spronge around the whole bottom of the filter unit or cut a very tiny square and slip it into the intake. If you pull the motor away from the plastic body you can slip off the outer plastic shell of the motor. Might be able to stick a piece of sponge between that conver and the motor itself.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Only way would be to either fit a spronge around the whole bottom of the filter unit or cut a very tiny square and slip it into the intake. If you pull the motor away from the plastic body you can slip off the outer plastic shell of the motor. Might be able to stick a piece of sponge between that conver and the motor itself.
I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.