The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36" 1 x 96 watt CFL fixture. I want to use it on my 15 gallon tank but its obviously too long. I noticed that Coralife sells a 1 x 96 watt quad bulb that is only 17" long. Would it be possible to use that bulb with my current fixture ballast? The only difference is that the quad bulb is a square pin and the fixture is a straight pin. I figured I could just swap the endcap on the fixture and I should be good to go right? Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think this idea would work, since the wattage is correct. You would have to be careful to connect it properly - that quad bulb might actually be two separate bulbs, which I think would need to be in series. This should give you high light intensity, very likely too high unless you raise it several inches above the top of the tank.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
96 watts is 96 watts. Will the light bulb fit in your existing fixture or will you need to DIY something? That should be the largest problem you'll have. If you can't readily find a four pin square socket, check the local thrift stores. They quite often have circle line (round kitchen type) light fixtures that people donate after renovations. I believe that socket will fit the bulb you want to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.