The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which Microrasbora Species Should I Pick?

• Boraras Maculata

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Boraras Brigittae (Chili Rasbora)

Votes: 84 86.6%
41 - 60 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Starting some DIY Co2 Injection in about a day or two.
Oto seems slightly thin.. I hope he starts feasting on the gratuitous amounts of diatom algae growing on my rocks right now. Other than that it's
just another waiting game.... hopefully the co2
helps out my DHG. Flame Moss is doing splendid though
fast growth and healthy looking

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So bad news... a giant algae attack took over my entire tank. Also over the holidays I was out of town and unable to watch over my tank resulting in mass destruction.. I have recently spent a good amount of time trying to hand pick all the hair algae out of my moss and grass and have had to re-tie and replant my hairgrass. Good news is that now I finally get to plant my grass in properly (I kinda cheated before by buying more bunches and trying to plant them in giant bunches to give the appearance that it had grown in, without seperating them. This resulted in a giant case of uprooted dwarf hairgrass after a couple of weeks.) Now I took the time to individually plant each small group of hairgrass like a rice farmer planting rice. Here are the current updates.. =(

Bubbles from a water change.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
More Pictures.. 2 days after the replant.

Also, I have a new paintball Co2 regulator coming in with a diffusor so that I can finally start some steady Co2 in this tank. I recieved a paintball tank a couple years back as a gift and can finally put some use to it...

feel free to post comments and suggestions once again.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I am not sure why you'd want to hijack a journal with your own complaints, Kayen. Plenty of people respond to my tanks and I don't have ADA in the title. Besides, I don't journal for others, I do it for myself.

.Mko. You should start dosing immediately. I wouldn't wait. Don't be discouraged by the algae. Many people get algae during the initial months of setup while the tank matures somewhat. The algae you are showing looks a lot like the algae I started out with in all my tanks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
First off I want to congratulate you on your hardscape. It looks great!

The patches of green also look amazing. Great job with the mosses. I also can't wait for the hairgrass to grow in. That'll really tie the tank in together.

Have you thought about adding a background? The space behind the tank is kind of distracting. I think a solid color like black, dark blue, or light blue would help observers focus on the tank and not look straight through.

Do you have a backlight in there? If so then never mind about the background.

Did you ever end up getting the boras?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey, Thanks a lot

umm yea ill probably get either black cardboard paper or white for the background... I can't wait for the Co2 to come in so that the growth of that hairgrass can really come in. And as for the boras im still waiting for my LFS to get them im in no rush though i think i want to wait until its grown in a bit more so that those maculatas feel more at home in some dense plant growth... but now im debating between CPD's and Maculata's what say you?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yea.. i don't know yet havent completely decided anyone else have any oppinions?

CPD's vs Boraras Maculatas

tell me what you think.. and i've been getting a lot of comments about a background.. i will be getting a background color but does anybody have any oppinions or suggestions on maybe a good background plant for this set up. I want it to stay with the rocks but also not take away from them.. Please tell me what you think

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A Betta would look great in that tank. Hint. Hint. ;)
+1 I second that!!!

A school of WCMM or the rasboras would look great in there with a betta. I do have a slight more bias towards the rasboras. I'll do some quick research to see if they are truly compatible.

The dwarf rasbora gets to be about 3/4ths of an inch. I don't think the betta will go after them unless they are very young. They will probably be to quick for him anyway. I would recomend keeping an eye on them if you do try the rasboras.

Many people around these forums have had success with the Chili Rasbora. It looks very similar to the dwarf rasbora but I believe has a brighter red color and is slightly larger. A group of 10-12 chili rasboras would look great with a betta in a 10 gallon tank with planting like yours :)

41 - 60 of 662 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.