The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

newbie here,,

Currently in my 22g tank, I have 8 red cherry shrimps and 5 bee shrimps.

I would like to add one more shrimp type and could you please advise what type of shrimps will be Ok to mix with current stock to avoid crossbreeding. (except amino and ghost shrimps,they grow too big)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Pretty much all Neocaridinas will interbreed so that crosses off all of those e.g Rilis, Sakura etc.
A lot of other shrimp that are sold are the same species as Bees, like Wine Reds, Black King Kongs, Blue Jellies etc. So those are a no go as well.
By the way what are you water parameters, it's better to match what the Bees want than the RCS, as the RCS are much more adaptable, where as the Bees like a specific water range. Also, if you give us parameters we may be able to suggest shrimp that will fit in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's definitely a first priority - make sure to go get your water test kit. They can be bought for less than $30 and shipped to you in two days with Amazon Prime.

However, your plants look amazing and unless you just setup your aquarium or fish have been dying, I would say that your water parameters are mostly good. The shrimp that you can add depends on whether you care about interbreeding or not. If you don't care about interbreeding (that is if you don't care about selling the fish ever), then you can add pretty much whatever you want (assuming your parameters are correct and you can take care of it).

However, if you do care about it then you have find species of shrimp that match your water parameters and that don't interbreed. Its hard to provide you with examples without specifics on your water parameters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's definitely a first priority - make sure to go get your water test kit. They can be bought for less than $30 and shipped to you in two days with Amazon Prime.

However, your plants look amazing and unless you just setup your aquarium or fish have been dying, I would say that your water parameters are mostly good. The shrimp that you can add depends on whether you care about interbreeding or not. If you don't care about interbreeding (that is if you don't care about selling the fish ever), then you can add pretty much whatever you want (assuming your parameters are correct and you can take care of it).

However, if you do care about it then you have find species of shrimp that match your water parameters and that don't interbreed. Its hard to provide you with examples without specifics on your water parameters.
yep i will try to get test kits, what kind of kits do I need? I am confused there are kits to test a lot of kind like ph,gh,kh ,ammonia,etc.. which one i need to give priority ? and i dont want interbreeding as I heard some say it will lead to wild and ugly offsprings though i am not sure about that

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
yep i will try to get test kits, what kind of kits do I need? I am confused there are kits to test a lot of kind like ph,gh,kh ,ammonia,etc.. which one i need to give priority ? and i dont want interbreeding as I heard some say it will lead to wild and ugly offsprings though i am not sure about that
API master test kit and a gh/kh test kit. You also should have a tds kit, I bought a cheap tds meter from fleabay for $10.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What type of bee shrimp are they? If you have CRS/CBS you can get Taiwan bees (pandas, black King Kong, blue bolt, etc) but you'll end up with mischlings. They're still pretty but they look like lower grade CRS/CBS most of the time with the occasional TB. If you have TBs already, any other TBs are fine and you'll just end up with more TBs. you can also get tiger shrimp which will throw out some cool patterns when crossed with bee shrimp (tibee or tigerbee).
It seems like you're going for aesthetics, so maybe blue tigers (oebt, rbt, aura blue, etc) to offset the red cherries?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of bee shrimp are they? If you have CRS/CBS you can get Taiwan bees (pandas, black King Kong, blue bolt, etc) but you'll end up with mischlings. They're still pretty but they look like lower grade CRS/CBS most of the time with the occasional TB. If you have TBs already, any other TBs are fine and you'll just end up with more TBs. you can also get tiger shrimp which will throw out some cool patterns when crossed with bee shrimp (tibee or tigerbee).
It seems like you're going for aesthetics, so maybe blue tigers (oebt, rbt, aura blue, etc) to offset the red cherries?
I am not sure what kind of bee shrimp i have but seem like they are the lowest grade,,I am just afraid I will have grey and transparent offsprings if they crossbreed,, what will be the result if I mix blue tiger and bee mixed? I think red cherries wont crossbreed with them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am not sure what kind of bee shrimp i have but seem like they are the lowest grade,,I am just afraid I will have grey and transparent offsprings if they crossbreed,, what will be the result if I mix blue tiger and bee mixed? I think red cherries wont crossbreed with them.

What do the bee shrimp look like?
The cherries won't interbreed with the Tigers or bees. Tiger x bee will give you tibee, they can range in phenotype and many are transparent or slightly opaque with colorful, opaque stripes. I wouldn't say they're "grey," but either way, they are all quite beautiful in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If you don't care about colors and the water parameters are fine, then there are vampire shrimp and bamboo shrimp.... however, both are filter feeders and require a current. They are also much larger shrimp than cherries and bees. From reading, they can be kept with cherry shrimp, but may or may not do as well in water parameters meant specifically for bee shrimp.

There are other shrimp species, but water parameters wouldn't come close to being appropriate for them, or they may be a tad too aggressive to keep with other shrimp.... i.e. whisker shrimp.

So your best bet is probably another caridina species.

Saying that, I have seen pictures of a mixed tank of neos and they didn't have any issues with the shrimp changing to wild coloration. Someone else had unintentionally crossed reds and yellows and got wild colored...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.