The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will be moving to dry ferts very soon but would like to use up the remainder of my Seachem products before I start using the dry since I have the larger 2L and 4L jugs. I was wondering if there are concerns with mixing the following Seachem products into 2 solutions to use for dosing?

Fluorish
Nitrogen
Phosphorous
Potassium
Iron
Trace

I heard that Fe and P shouldnt be mixed as it becomes insoluble. Are there any other concerns? I have an autodoser that has 2 dosing channels which is why I would like to make 2 solutions so any suggestions would be helpful. I will also eventually be looking to combine the dry ferts into 2 solutions for dosing as well via PPS Pro or EI but that is a discussion for later (unless someone has any comments regarding mixing dry into solutions).

Tank is 60 gallons with Compressed Co2, dual T5HO geissman flora bulbs and a Finnex Ray2 in case anyone needs to know that info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mix NPK in one solution then trace and iron in the other. Any link to the dosing pump you used? About how much did it run you?

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I'm confused. According to Seachem's chart it's okay to dose Iron and Phosphorus at the same time. How is that any different than mixing them?

See chart: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf
When dosing them, you are putting them into a much larger volume of water, so there is less chance that ferric phosphate will precipitate out.

However, when storing more concentrated solutions together, there is a higher chance.

Some people have noticed when dosing them immediately one after another, a slight haze can develop (this is likely the ferric phosphate).

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I mix seachem products for auto dosing. It works fine. Keep npk separate. I keep N separate from all the others though (3 channel pump) because when combined, I got bad molding problems.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful as usual. Will probably add excel in to prevent molding as it sounds like that is a good preventative measure.
Should I bother also adding the Seachem Fluorish comprehensive into the mix?

@ JeffE - I bought the GHL Profilux 4 pump and I think it was around 400 Canadian dollars. I have 2 60 gallon tanks that are identical and this pump services both tanks with 2 pumps each. Works quite nicely so far.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Yes you need micros.

I do:
ch1- mix of Fe + seachem comp
ch2- N
ch3- PK

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
You don't need trace. Mix comp with fe. Comprehensive is a complete micro mix.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have been doing the autodosing with the Seachem products combined for a bit now and things seem a bit off (signs of some deficiencies) so I am wondering if I am dosing the right amounts.

For example:
I have combined the FE and Comprehensive into 1 solution but I suspect that I might be dosing the incorrect amount. Looking at the YANC nutrient calculator for EI dosing it states that each dose for the 2 should be 35 mL of comprehensive and 11mL of Iron separately. So I have mixed these at 380mL comp and 119mL FE to fill a 500mL bottle. Am I right that I should be dosing 46mL each dose 2-3 times a week seem to be the correct math here or am I out to lunch?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts