The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always used RO & then remineralisation to bring it back up.

Decided I want to use tap now as it’ll be easier for me, always on hand, no more carrying 60L of water up stairs etc.

Just got 20L of tap into a bucket, chucked in some “tap safe” did a quick test of ph, KH & GH just to see where I start. I’m quite surprised how high KH & GH are to the point I don’t know how to lower them, I’m at around 12 drops for KH which is around 200pm & even higher for GH, I gave up counting the GH after around 14 drops and admitted it’s to high & needs to be brought right down, ideally I want them to a level for my two planted tanks can thrive.

what can people suggest, I was thinking of mixing some RO with tap, find the right balance by doing 1 litre of tap & add 100ml of RO until I have it right, then remember the ratio & that’ll be the ratio every time, but then would that change due to the water from the tap every so often?

Any conditioners/water treatments recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve just tested PH, GH & KH on a mix of 50:50

PH - 7.5
GH - 160ppm
KH - 214ppm

Originally I thought this was way off, but on further reading I’ve found a load of forums saying these are fine.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've been doing 3 parts Ro to 1 part tap. My tap is 580ish TDS and this brings it below 200. I treat just the tap water before I mix it.
You could get a tds pen and it's quick to check if the tap and your mixtures are right.
I get a water report every couple years and the water does change here but not very much.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been doing 3 parts Ro to 1 part tap. My tap is 580ish TDS and this brings it below 200. I treat just the tap water before I mix it.
You could get a tds pen and it's quick to check if the tap and your mixtures are right.
I get a water report every couple years and the water does change here but not very much.
Ive been trying to find a decent tds pen on Amazon but every single one has mixed reviews so I’m apprehensive.

What do you treat your water with before you mix?

I’ve just put some basic water conditioner in the tap beforehand then added RO afterwards

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ive been trying to find a decent tds pen on Amazon but every single one has mixed reviews so I’m apprehensive.

I’ve just put some basic water conditioner in the tap beforehand then added RO afterwards

I use prime for the tap.
Honestly the accuracy isn't important on the tds because your just trying to match your new water Each time you make it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’ve just tested PH, GH & KH on a mix of 50:50

PH - 7.5
GH - 160ppm
KH - 214ppm

Originally I thought this was way off, but on further reading I’ve found a load of forums saying these are fine.

Your 50:50 mix looks good, just don't go crazy and change 100% of water right away. Do it in stages, don't make drastic changes.

I use this TDS pen from Home Depot from more than a year now.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

ISPRING 3-Button Digital TDS Meter/Thermometer with Automatic Calibration, Temperature Button and Leather Case
SKU# 206466760

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have mixed RO water with Brita filtered tap water for years. Since each person's tap water sources will be different, it will be up to you to start off mixing 50/50 and testing the results of the combined pH and mineral content. Take it from there in deciding if you wish to go 25%/75%, 30%/70%, or stick with 50%/50% based on your specific results and what results you are striving for in your case. As a conditioner, I add a very small dose of Seachem Prime.

I purchased some 2, 2.5, and some 3 gallon water containers. Decide what type of water you will keep in each one. For example I have some labeled for RO, others labeled for tap water and one labeled to be used as Mixing water container.

Actually to add to the confusion, I recently got rid of my Brita dispenser and purchased a ZeroWater dispenser. I must add that ZeroWater results are VERY close to the results from a RO system.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts