The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So originally I had *sterbai cories in my 40g tank, sadly tho I lost 3 of them in the 1st month. The 5 have been doing great, but I want a larger school. Unfortunately the lfs I got them from don't consistently bring them in. Is it at all possible to get a 2nd species of cories? Also as what would be an appropriate number of cories for that size of a tank.

Other tankmates

4x Congo Tetras
1x Cakico bn pleco
1x electric blue acara

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have 2 sterbai and 6 panda corys in my 50 gal. I also want to get maybe 3 more sterbai, but like you my lfs rarely gets them in. All of them love swimming together. I also have 25 assorted tetras in the same tank and all are happy and healthy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a mixture of corys in my 38 gallon tank and they all swim together. Some are singletons. I have five albinos, one bronze, one julii, one bandit and two peppered. They all started out in schools, but the singletons are the ones that have survived for a very long time. The longest living cory is 14 years so far!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The op may find this useful as well. I'm curious if the cories will easily cross breed? I just bought some salt and pepper cories and want to get half a dozen sterb.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
They prefer to have a properly-sized group of their own kind. If that isn't possible, get a properly-sized group (5+) of a similar-looking species and they'll be fine.
You might also want to get another couple of congos, if you can.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
In this size tank you can easily add another breed of corys. I have Weitzmanis with one panda cory. They are similarly colored and my panda thinks he is a Weitzmani. The panda is also the last survivor of his group and well over 10 years old.
As far as crossbreeding is concerned I am not positive but some of my Weitzmani off spring do not show the distinct 3 saddles and I have long suspected that the panda may have had a fin in it. But it is rare that different types of corys will crossbreed. Since I am not selling my Weitzmani's and they have not breed in several years so I am not too worried about it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so what would be a good number of corys to aim for and what are similar looking species i could use?. And because it was stated what is a good number of congos to aim for?

Corys that lfs in there area regularly carry
Albino
Pandas
Salt and pepper
Paleatus

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You see them school when they are frightened, or feeding... like when lights go on and off.

Put a bunch in a bare bottom tank, and they all heap up in the middle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.