The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck keeping/breeding cherries in the same tank with Atyopsis Shrimp? ("Vampire" and other filter feeding shrimp). I was curious if they would feed on any adolescents, and if so, would it make a dent in an established population in a 45 gallon tank?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Neither one Atyopsis Moluccensis(asian filter shrimp; bamboo shrimp; wood shrimp) or Atya gabonensis (vampire shrimp; african filter shrimp) will bother your RCS or fry. I have an Atyopsis Moluccensis and she doesn't bother a soul, she just wants to be left alone perched on her favorite spot in my tank filtering the water. I also have CRS in the tank and she doesn't bother them either.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Perfect. They are some of my favorite shrimp to keep, but I really want to give this breeding shrimp a try... Glad to hear I can do both
Sure can. :) The Atyopsis Moluccensis shrimp in my 29g tank is my favorite inhabitant in the aquarium. I like her more than my CRS. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh wow! That is a great picture! How many Atyopsis Moluccensis do you have? Do you have any Atya Gabonensis? What other inhabitants do you have currently living with your shrimp?

(that male in the middle is huge!!)

Where did you purchase these shrimp?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That pic was from a tank I had a few years ago, unfortunately the tank was overcrowded, and the unnoticed death of a LARGE shrimp led to entire tank whipeout in the space of a day.

However, at the time I had 7 Atyopsis Moluccensis (that male was almost 5" long, absolutely enormous), 15 Ammano's, bout 20 bee shrimp of various colouring and variations, 2 cherries (hitchikers from a plant I bought), several species of ghost shrimp... a few others I can't even remember, but they had a loooong pointy snout almost like a needle...

This was my shrimp/livebearer tank, had nothing in it but shrimp, some platties and a few random tetra's

I can get Atyopsis Moluccensis pretty easily around here, in fact I will probably grab 3 of them this week. Found a few places that have them locally

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sorry to hear about the deaths of your shrimp. Did all the shrimp you mentioned die along with the Atyopsis Moluccensis? If so, bummer.

Are you on a restock project? If so, how many more Atyopsis Moluccensis do you plan on buying? 3 more? How much are they at your lfs? Any other shrimp besides cherries to go along with them?

Sorry for all the questions, I just love shrimp esp. Atyopsis Moluccensis. :D

I plan on eventually buying an Atya Gabonensis if I could ever find one...

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lost em all back in late 2003 I think it was.. I'm taking another stab at it now.

Atyopsis Moluccensis cost between $15-20 each here... Cherries cost about $9 each. I want to have at least 3 Atyopsis Moluccensis and I'm trying to source some cherries from an online vendor.. I might end up ordering 50 of them at $1 each from overseas. I am going to have as many varieties of shrimp in this tank as I can... I want the shrimp to be one of the main focus..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here's even more proof:

My Atyopsis Moluccensis sharing a Hikari algae pellet with my RCS and RCS fry.
(not a great photo, but you get the hint)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Alright guys stop it... Or I'm going to want to get some worse than I already want to get some....

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
"cough...shrimp addict...cough" :hihi:
Yeah and I don't really have any room for more tanks that are heated.... I've thought of getting a smaller dresser and replacing it with a tank rack... I really need to get out more:icon_roll

-Andrew

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah and I don't really have any room for more tanks that are heated.... I've thought of getting a smaller dresser and replacing it with a tank rack... I really need to get out more:icon_roll

-Andrew
You need to get out more....to buy more shrimp!! haha! ;)

ANYWAY, GDominy, i think you have all the proof you need. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts