The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tap water has a PH of 9+ but we have bottled water with a PH of 6. I think the bottled water might be missing the nutrients my plants need.

My question is, If you mix 2 water sources can that change the PH to a different level?

EX. 1 part 9ph to 3 parts 6ph

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Yes, mixing water sources will change the pH (in addition to other water chemistry). However, bottled water is quite expensive and the costs will accumulate quite quickly.

A pH of 9+ is quite surprising! Are you sure your test kit is not faulty? I would double check with your city/municipality water report.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was as surprised with the PH as you are. I think it is known because all the schools in this area have bottled water instead of water fountains

I am just using test strips but they work fine as i have compared them against a drop ph solution at home that i use with my 30 gallon.

As for the bottled water I get it free where i work and my work tank is only a 3 gallon.

with a ph so low and a kh of 100 i can't seem to keep my co2 from jumping too high.

i was thinking if i mix the 2 sources it might give me a better base to work off of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts