The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to try this as my final mix for substrate for a natural planted tank.

1" Organic Potting Mix + 1/2" Fluorite Black (mixed together)
1/2" Blasting Media (20/40) cap.

This will be my 2" combined substrate in a 33-Long (48x12x13h) low tech and low-med light. I have looked all over but not actually seen anyone do this type of mix so just figured I'd post and see what people thought.

FYI Plants: Elodea, Watersprite, Anubias nana, Dwarf Sag, Java Moss, Crypt Wendtii, Java Fern, Red Ludwigia

Livestock: Bettas and Cherry Shrimp and M.T. snails!

Any and all suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
That MGOCPM is one of those which leach Ammonia.
So for the sake of any critters, please let it go through whatever it needs to before
you add any.
I'm doing a similar build, but only in a 10g tank. It's a lease issue.
I bought one of four bags Amazon had left when MG stopped making that in a small bag. And if I don't sift it but rather pick out only the larger pieces of wood I should
have enough for the 10g plus the bottom of a couple of pots for my baby Cypress trees.
But instead of Fluorite to mix it/w I'm doing a 20Oz box of API "Pure Laterite".
I won't go into any more detail as this is your thread.
But keep us posted on how this works please...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and here I was thinking I had learned a thing or two...and yet I have never heard of "Pure Laterite" lol.

But yes I will let you know...once things arrive I have every intention of keeping a journal on the progress.

...now I'm off to google "Pure Laterite".

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Question: Pure Laterite - 104249

Actually it's been outdated as iron dosing does the same thing. But it's a certain type of clay(starts/w an "M") but I haven't been able to locate that name in a search yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts