The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 30 gallon breeder tank that has 3 types of foreground plants. The echinodorus tenellus (micro sword) and the lilaeopsis seem to be growing in well together mixed, so I let them run amok with each other but i cleared a space in the middle to make room for dwarf hairgrass to grow on its own. Once the plants send enough runners out, Im sure the hairgrass is gonna mix into the microswords and vice versa--will the hairgrass outcompete or overgrow the echinodorus or the lilaeopsis? if not, will it look good mixed or should i keep the borders?
I used to have dwarf sag which looks just the same as E.T., I have been pulling it out ever since. It sends runners beneath the substrate which is so annoying

·
Registered
767 Posts
as log as you have planty of flow and your usking root tabs in your substrate.

do you hav a pic of this cool idea?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh my pictures are too large for tank profiles unfortunately, how else do I get tank pics up here?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, anyone out there can answer my question? photo set up isn't performing at the moment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have exactly those 3 foreground plants in my 100 gallon, plus HM. I planted them in 4 separate patches in the foreground, not intending them to mix. It's only been 6 weeks since setup ( i have a low tech tank so it'll take time to grow!) but already the hairgrass in sending runners into the HM, which to my eye (i like clean cut style) looks a little messy. I prune my HM though, to get a thicker carpet, and it's too fiddly to try and avoid the Hairgrass, so it gets cut too, therefore is not really noticeable. The E. Tenellus is spreading well, but is far more vigorous and bulky in form than the Jap Hairgrass, so overpowers the Hairgrass. By that I mean the hairgrass just gets swallowed up. I will need to cut the runners and remove the little plantlets to stop the chain sword from invading the hair grass if I want to keep it looking neat. So far the lilaeopsis has not done much, and is a slow grower for me - at this stage it doesn't look like it's going to be too invasive. That's all I can tell you I'm afraid - to a great extent it depends on your setup - in my lowlight setup with no co2 my E. Tenellus will excel, while the hairgrass will grow, but may not thrive quite in the same way, so would probably lose the battle if left to their own devices. In a highlight Co2 situation, both would be strong growers, so I'm not sure what the eventual outcome would be - probably just a mix of the two. The only way to know how it will go in your particular tank is try it! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so here are some pics from last week. Sorry there is a little algae on the front of the glass, I scrubbed it off and ill post some new pics soon. Every lawn plant seems to be sending runners, the Tiger lotus in the back is growing slowly, and the argentine swords are flowering. Any suggestions on a specific course of action would be appreciated.
http://img267.imageshack.us/g/photoon20100528at1634.jpg/

·
Registered
150 Posts
It depends entirely on your personal preference. To me, it looks a bit messy having them all over the place amongst each other, but that's just me. A lot of people like the wild look. So do whatever looks best to you - there's no rules for this kind of thing. In your situation I would probably plant the taller E. Tenellus behind the dwarf hairgrass in the foreground, and let them mix only along their borders to blend the two together. Then work on creating a denser carpet of the two individually, the result being short hairgrass in the front, with a step up to slightly taller micro sword behind. I couldn't see the lileaopsis in the photos.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, yeah the Lilaeopsis is certainly there but its delicate and small. I guess the only way to really notice it in the photos is by the fluffy dense clumps here and there, those being recently store-bought and still awaiting metamorphosis. There are others growing slowly spread around--I think that I will probably have a good chunk of hairgrass in the middle in a couple of months and the borders will eventually become mixed. Maybe I'll just prevent the E.T. from sending its runners in there but maybe not, I think I'm a man who likes the wild look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts