The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pls. advise. Currently thinking of mixing Flourite w/ my plain old gravel (contains 55oz. of Laterite added a few months back). Is this a good idea? Or you I just add more Laterite since they can be mixed in w/ the gravel? Originally planning on taking out the old gravel & replacing w/ Flourite but afraid of the mess its going to make, not to mention all the good bacteria I will be taking out. Also don't have any clue how to do a gravel swap. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I had it mixed 50/50 in my 25gal for years and it worked just fine. A LFS had a perfect match for Flourite in a plain gravel. Couldn't tell it apart from Florite when mixed together.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it mixed 50/50 in my 25gal for years and it worked just fine. A LFS had a perfect match for Flourite in a plain gravel. Couldn't tell it apart from Florite when mixed together.
Does it have to be 50/50? If yes how much bags would I need? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No doesn't have to be 50/50. Use as much as you like or can afford. But keep in mind the more (Flourite) the better.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would 3 bags be enough? Already got 1 bag of Flourite Red from my LFS today for $24.99 & then saw in drsfoster&smith for only $18.99:icon_frow. So should I buy 2 more? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I believe that I used 3 bags in my 55. Mixed with coarse sand.

Three bags according to the substrate calculator will be just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts