The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I am new to aquarium hobby so I am not sure if I made a mistake or not. I think I may have chosen the wrong size lily pipes for my filter. My filter is a Fluval fx6, which is quite powerful. I want a heavily planted tank for my 90 gallon (36x24x24)

I know that no matter what lily pipe I choose, the fx6 is going to be problematic with regard to size, so I will need some kind of an adapter. I want to use clear hose from ADA. The size hose the fx6 comes with is 1 inch. There are three or four different sizes for the ADA, none of which are one inch, so some kind of fitting would be needed

I got Dymax from BucePlants, but bought the 12/16. Here are the specs:
Specifications 12/16mm:
Outflow Pipe Length: 17CM
Outflow Pipe Width: 14.5CM
Outflow Cup Size: 5.5CM
Inflow Pipe Length: 17CM
'U' Pipe Size: 6.5CM
'U' Pipe Spacing: 3.8CM
Surface Skimmer Diameter: 4CM
Surface Skimmer Housing: 19.5CM
Total Inflow Pipe Size: 29CM
Outlet Diameter: 1.25CM

They do have a larger size (16/22).

Should I return the lily pipes and get a larger size or will this size work fine? It also comes with a surface skimmer which I hoped I could use for surface agitation instead of getting a powerhead or something like that.

Can you all maybe give some advice on 1) what I have done/am doing? and 2) is it wrong and what should I do instead? I would also appreciate any specific measurements with regard to converters I need? Thanks so much.

P.S. I am also getting a Pentair uv sterializer. Any advice on where you install this?

Having said all this... what about flow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
16/22mm diameter tubing is essentially 5/8 tubing. I have a Fluval 407 that I run with the 16/22 lily pipes as that's the size the ribbed Fluval hosing is that comes with the kit. I've also swapped over to lily pipes. I am not personally familiar with all of the fx6 fittings, but I am betting that you are going to get a pretty strong flow out of such a reduced-size pipe. That is unless you can control the flow on the fx6 or can have the inlet tubing match the outlet. But that being said - I wouldn't personally reduce the flow of such a powerful filter, otherwise, I would've just gone with 2 smaller filters.

Additionally, it depends on what you are looking to achieve. If it is c02 dispersion then I'd go the spray bar route. It would allow you to control the flow pressure and give more even distribution in a large tank.

One last thing to note is that the fx6 siphoning strength may be too strong and actually just "suck" the skimmer down under the water. I only get about a quarter turn adjustment before this happens on mine. Actually about to post about a spray bar myself o_O

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. So how about this. Should I just return this lily pipe set for the one without the skimmer? I have a uv sterilizer and this insane pump (because this guy from Bulkreef insisted I need these two together) that should provide enough surface agitation:

Here are the lily pipes:

Is there a way to prevent the sucking of the skimmer into the water if I went with the other option.

Btw, here is my Co2 system:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts