The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a week or so ago I picked up 6 beautiful looking Glowlight Danios (Danio Choprai) which are about an inch or so long maybe a tad more. I put them in my 10 gallon while the 15 they are going in finished cycling. I have an Aqua Clear 30 on the 10 gallon with the regular inflow that it comes with. I’ve never had any issues with the filter, even with shrimp and guppy babies, but somehow one of the danios got sucked up by it. It must have been in there for a good 12+ hours since I noticed only 5 fish when I was getting ready for work and I found it later that evening. The fish is ok except for its tail. The tail is basically not their now. I put it in a breeder net with some plants to keep it away from the other fish but I’m not sure if I should put it into a smaller tank with some medication to prevent anything from happening. Any recommendations? Besides the missing tail fin the fish seems to be doing ok. It’s swimming around just fine and eating. I’m glad my celestial pearl (galaxy rasbora) hasn’t gotten sucked up since the 2 fish are around the same size.

·
Registered
722 Posts
some people report adding melafix helps ...
to what degree i dont know....eventually if the fish is healthy ,its fins will regrow

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oh my gosh! I just had the same thing happen this week with one of my glowlight danios and an Aquaclear! Found one swimming in the 3" sq area where the intake tube enters. I have no idea how long he was swimming in the "rapids", fortunately he had absolutely no fin dammage.

I firmly believe he somehow jumped up into there! This is my 10g cherry red shrimp tank and I have a sponge completely covering the intake strainer. Any time (including this fish rescue operation) I've pulled the filter to completely clean I've not seen even the smallest shrimplet. There are easily over 100 RCS. My shrimp don't make it thru the sponge into the filter; I doubt that'd be how this danio got stuck in their.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Last summer before I really got into planted tanks I caught some small eels at my beach house that are I believe the American variety? (still not too sure) But They would always be jumping in and out of the aquaclear, so I wouldn't worry too much... Just take the fish out when you see them:hihi:

-Andrew

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same thing happen with an aquaclear. I lost 4 p. gertrudae who kept on swimming up the output at night. They stay in there until they get tired and then get whacked by the propellor. They kept showing up in the filter with huge bruises that got infected, and I found one with a broken back that I had to put to sleep. So for really small fish, the filter is dangerous.

I originally tried putting a net and then some moss over the outflow and that didn't work. So, I eventually cut an algae scrubberpad and put it flat on top of the filter right under the lid, so that about 2 cm of it stick up over the top of the water level in the outflow so that fish trying to swim into the filter hit that pad and go back.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Melafix along with clean water quality will definitely help.:smile: Most often, I just leave my fish alone to heal their fins.:smile: The tail will eventually regrow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up some Melafix today so I guess now I wait to see how he does. At least I think it's a he since it's on the skinnier side. Of the 6 I got 2 seem real fat now (only had them a week or so and they nearly doubled in belly size) and I think those are the females, but what do I know… they all pretty much look the same except for the belly area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.