The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3-4 weeks since my OEBT got berried, and I'm expecting some babies soon. I haven't seen her for the last two days though. I don't see a body either. Do you think she's still alive? I've checked pretty much every square inch of the tank, and no sign of a body.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Berried shrimp can certainly hide well. But I lost probably a good 12 shrimp over the course of 6 weeks I never saw bodies on. I occasionally found the bodies being devoured by snails...within 3 hours there were no signs of the shrimps. So if you have enough snails in there I have no doubt they could devour overnight and you would be none the wiser.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Even in a tank without many hiding places a shrimp can hide for days, I've been concerned on the same matter many many times and 99% I found the shrimp a few days later. Now I stop getting worried.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Also, since it's been almost a month since it got berried, would there be a chance it's given birth? That would explain why you are no longer seeing a berried shrimp.....just a thought

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i have a few berried females and i can say that once the female are berried they tend to hide 90% of the time and the 10% is to look for food but rarely will they come out when you feed them... they will eat/ find food in plants or where they are hiding...

IF... it has laid her babies already keep an eye out for small babies... they tend to be good hider's and will rarely come out also...

IF... your running co2 in your tank... your chance of babies survival rates are cut down by 70-80% (had a berried yellow neo full of eggs and it had babies now that i remove all from my co2 tank to a low tech no co2 tank i only was able to pull out 3 babies and the rest were gone...)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news guys! I found two small grey shrimp babies in my tank! I found the female too. She's a lot more active now. They may be OEBT or Tibee, but it's too hard to tell right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.