The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I did the exact same thing the other day with a beautiful over grown RCS, he was out of the water for over a few hours, and up here the air is so dry, when i picked him up he pretty much crackled apart. haha But yea, i guess this species is just REALLY hardy, haha

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Hm... that's really weird. Are you sure it was the same one you put in and not another one that looked exactly the same (since they all.. really... look the same)? I'm pretty sure if their outer shell dries out they die of suffocation. Unless he got CPR or something it doesn't seem likely the same one "Revived" if it's been dried up outside.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For me i Actually put this guy in my 5 gallon betta tank where there were no other shrimp, and literally watched him start moving little by little.
It was totally insane.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oh god by any chance did you happen to be doing a chicken blood sacrifice in the other room. Watch out the shrimp is going to crawl out in the middle of the night to terrorize you!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I heard you can freeze them for years and then put them back in the tank like nothing happened, just like Walt Disney!

It's going to be easier to ship them now right? :D

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
You may have been extremely lucky if he was nearly ready to molt anyway... Nice save and thanks for sharing.... I usually find the random pond snail on my desk and check them in the bowl... Never any crs or neos yet, knock on wood.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Normally they quite tough in the dry, maybe can stay over 5 minutes. While fish would die by that length of time.
Big Yamato shrimp(you guys called them Amano) even walk on the floor.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The bag burst in my last shipment of RCS. All but one survived in the bag with no water. The bag had collapsed on itself and it trapped a bit a moisture but they were totally unable to move.

-Lisa

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yeah, once, i found an amano shrimp under the couch, which is like 10 feet away from the tank.
The Amanos I had were big enough to give me the creeps like roaches. I would've freaked out if I found one on the floor. I most likely would've killed it with a shoe, thinking it was some massive bug.

-Lisa

·
Registered
411 Posts
not a shrimp, but I had a similar situation with an Endler. I had a couple of pregnant females give birth in the bag. I missed one of the babies in the corner of the bag. I noticed it a day or two later. I felt bad about it, but upon closer inspection I saw that it was still breathing. Got it into some water and it has been doing fine. That was back in February or March. there was only a drop or two of water in there. Just enough to keep the little guy/gal wet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts