The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my tank set up and at full boar for about a month now. On my low lying plants like the Compact Corymbosa im getting some of what looks to be staghorn. its not much and ive actually just noticed it a week ago and ive let it be just to see what it would do, and it just hangs out on the one type of plant and seems to be happy with it. I also get a few green algae spots on the glass every once in a while and I just wipe the glass down. And the spots are so small you have to be on the glass to see em. I dont dose Nitrogen or Phosphates yet because the lfs havent had them in stock. But every three days I do dose the flourish comprehensive, trace and potassium. The plants pearl and the Cabomba I have ive already trimmed and replanted because they grew about a foot in a week or so, reaching the surface of the water. So is it the possible nitrogen and phosphate deficiency that is prompting the problem? Nitrate levels are at as close to 0 as you can get on the tube test. Any suggestions? The outbreak isnt bad, but Id like to get to the bottom of it before it becomes a problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Get dry ferts since the ones in the store are just dry ferts dissolved in water. Just remove the staghorn algae manually and hopefully it wont return.

Do you have any detectable levels of ammonia in the water?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No ammonia whatsoever. Just did a test since you asked. My filter is half filled with those bio star things and they seem to do a great job of keeping toxins broke down, and the shrimp and platties do wonders picking the bottom clean. And where can I get dry ferts and how would I dose them? Under the substrate?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
You can get them here or here or here or any other number of places. You just measure them out and dump them in the tank. Some people dissolve the ferts in water and then add them to the tanks, but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PMDD Pre-Mix
PMDD Pre-Mix 1 lb contains 1 part each of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B.

Something like that from aquariumfertilizer.com

or is the individual bags of each a better way to go?

And since no one has said anything im assuming the outbreak is probabbly due to nutrient deficiencies like id assumed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Difficiency in KNO3 or PO4 can result in green algae of BGA. Staghorn however, grows in places with low CO2, general or local. I advise you to start using Flourish Excel to get rid of the staghorn and keep using it if you don't have pressurized CO2. If you have CO2 it could be related to bad dispersion of CO2 throughout your tank, as a result of insufficient flow. There should be enough flow to move your plants a little bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts