The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about getting some guppies for my 60P. My Hydor inline failed after only a few months (and will hopefully be replaced under warranty, contacted them yesterday) but would prefer to not use a heater if possible. I am only willing to go inline but I have found too much inline stuff has been counter productive for me as I rarely clean my hoses since it's such an undertaking. I just cleaned my hoses on a different canister and my flow increased quite a bit.

That said, I was wondering what the minimum temperature I could keep guppies in good health. I don't mind keeping an in tank heater around if we were to go out of town in the winter but I just was wondering if it's doable. Our home is actually usually cooler in the summer than in the winter because it's so hot out here. The spring is the coldest as it's warm enough to not justify heat but still not as warm as with the heat on in the winter. Right now, my tank is at 70. Just wondering if that is too low and also what is the lowest temp. I can look online but I am more trusting of people who actually keep the fish, rather than a internet guideline that can vary a lot. My betta's always live a long life without a heater in a smaller tank which would fluctuate more.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Lower temps will slow the growth rates, but other than that, I'd say you're ok as long as the tank doesn't get any colder than that. My blue moscow guppies are sharing a tank with some neos so I keep the temp around 72 and they've done fine. There is a marked difference in size and rate of growth though between the ones in that tank and the fry from the same strain that were raised in a 78-80 degree tank.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have my main guppy tank (java moss, driftwood) and 75+ fancy guppies with nothing but an undergravel filter. NO HEATER I have bred guppies for years cold water guppies are healthier and live 4 years instead of 2.

I cant remember the article but guppies are hardy fish!

I even had guppies in my marine tank full saltwater corals etc by gradual acclimatisation.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have my main guppy tank (java moss, driftwood) and 75+ fancy guppies with nothing but an undergravel filter. NO HEATER I have bred guppies for years cold water guppies are healthier and live 4 years instead of 2.

I cant remember the article but guppies are hardy fish!

I even had guppies in my marine tank full saltwater corals etc by gradual acclimatisation.
Yeah their metabolism is slowed in colder water. I'm waiting for this summer to watch my population explode as then will be slowly going from about 72 degrees to 77.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Feeder guppies will continue breeding at least down to 64 degrees, so as long as they aren't outside or anything and have been acclimated carefully, they should be fine. I agree with the above poster - from what little research I have done on guppies, it seems that they are healthier if they have to encounter somewhat varying temperatures over the course of the year.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight. I think I will be good. I would guess my tank would normally be at 72ish and maybe a bit warmer in the hottest part of summer and a cold winter day where I turn the heat up way more than usual.

Thanks so much for the insight, I figured I was good, it seem like most have had great experiences. I can always stick in a heater if need be for times I am out of town and the like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts