The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just increased my school size of rummynose tetras to 16. They are currently in a 65 gallon high, which has a footprint of 18x36. I'm wondering if this is too small for them. They seem to be swimming back and forth a lot and I'm afraid that the length might be too short and that they might need more swimming space for their school size. Is a school of 16 in a 36x18 tank okay or is it too small?

·
Registered
703 Posts
what the minimum one can get away with is different then what is best for the fish, and what is best for displaying the fish.

I've kept a lot of fish, though not rummy noses - the reason being is since I've gotten back into fish keeping I haven't been able to set up a large enough tank. The aquarium shop had a display tank set up for a while, a planted 6 footer with a school of 20 or so stunning two inch rummy nose, and these fish swam constantly as a school across the tank. After seeing that display I don't think I'd choose them for anything less then a 4 foot tank. No doubt I can keep some alive in my 29g, but being aware of the full potential of the fish and with my own fishkeeping hiccups behind me, I also know how the limited space would affect their growth, behavior, and probably lifespan.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
This was a timely question for me - I've been debating on putting a rummy scool in a 29g, or a 55g. Now I know the 55 is it...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
My harlequins school very nicely. I only have 6 or so in a 40b, but they are so pretty I'm going to put a bigger school in another tank.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Harlequins school very well, relative to most community schoolers that really tend to spread out - I have a group in my 20g L and they are usually fairly close - closer then the spotted rasbora and celestials in my 29g. They do a lot more just hanging out (rather then swimming back and forth as a group) then the rummynose displays I've seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.